We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronics

Francisco de...
4 posts
Save Topic
Electronics

I was wondering if anyone lately can tell me if Customs is being more strict as to what and how many electronic articles are entering in the country. March of last year I took more then the allowed and no one said or even stopped me. (I didnt know there were limits) Now I have been looking up info and see that there are laws preventing taking too much electronics: cel phones, tablets, computer, etc..I plan on taking some gifts for my girlfriend and family which include cel phones and tablets and would be passing the limit. I would put most of the electonics in my luggage to be checked in and maybe take a few items with carry on. Has anyone this year had any trouble with taking these items, maybe getting luggage checked or confiscations?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronics

I don't know the answer to your question but am curious of the answer...I have never been to a country that limits the electronics one can bring....can you tell me where you read about it so I can make sure we are doing the right thing...all os ours will be for personal use...does that make a difference?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronics

It's not bringing one cell phone, one tablet, one laptop, etc. that is a problem--those things are expected of tourists --but bringing multiples of each raises suspicion that you are selling them. Laws are applied somewhat whimsically depending on who is inspecting you, though I've brought odd (but legal) things in and no one batted an eye. Being a by-the-book kind of person, I wouldn't chance it myself, but since you got away with it once, you might again. Since this is a travel forum, you might ask on the Yahoo ex-pats' forum for latest info.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronics

thank you AZ...I think most countries do the same thing when there are multiples......

Francisco de...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronics

Well I guess to be more clear. I'm trying to take 1 cel phone for personal use and another 2 for family. 3 total. Then 1 tablet for personal use and another 2 for family. 3 total. And 1 camera for personal use. Look suspicious??

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronics

Yes, especially if they're still in their original packaging.

Francisco de...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronics

No original packaging..so pretty much you can't take gifts?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electronics

Never said that. It's mostly up to the vigilance and sympathy of the customs official.

Francisco de...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Electronics

Ok thank you for the input. Kind of a messed up situation I didn't really think much of it last time but now there's that 'what if'. I can't afford to throw away money:/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electronics

Anyone have any input on more than 2 of each for personal use? I have 3 cameras (2 old used and one new...all small.. One underwater, other two for different purposes) and I have 3 phones (one for work, one for personal, one gift) ...is this an issue?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,992 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electronics

It's doubtful anyone is even going to search your bags. Since most of the things are used, it probably wouldn't be a problem even if they did. If you're traveling with someone, can you divvy the things up into different bags?