We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: kitchen appliances

salisbury, md
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
re: kitchen appliances

Could someone who lives in the Quito area tell me if you rent

an apartment/house, are the kitchens equipped with any ap-

pliances. Also the water is unsafe to drink, are there any

filtration systems available which you can connect to the tap?

I appreciate any input regarding my questions. Regards, Hans.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: kitchen appliances

When you rent most places are *not* equipped with "linea blanca"- the fridge, dishwasher, stove. However, some are - we didn't bring that stuff b/c we didn't own any of it, and we were able to find a number of places that were willing to include it. If you find a great apartment that doesn't have it, our real estate agent advised us to purchase it, and then resell it when you leave - since the apartments typically don't have this stuff, there's a good market for it.

No expat drinks the tap water. Technically it is potable in Quito, but I have a friend who is a water engineer and does periodic tests on the tap water - usually it is potable, but then sometimes it's not. You can get filter systems to attach directly to the tap. Another alternative is to buy filtered water, which is what most expats and upper-class Quitenos do - trucks roll through the neighborhood every day with five-gallon tanks of water that you attach to a dispenser you buy. It's no big deal. But the good thing about the Quito water if you don't get a filter to attach to the tap, is that it's clean enough to cook with, wash fruits & vegetables with, brush your teeth with....

2. Re: re: kitchen appliances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 23:19