We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

We are looking for ideas for one way transport from Quito to Santa Ana Hacienda in Cotopaxi.

Then a few days later from Cotopaxi to Banos.

Then several days later from Banos to Quito.

We are looking for transport ideas and estimated costs.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Without knowing your budget or transportation preferences, below are my suggestions. If you're looking for private transport or something in between, let me know and I'll adjust my answer.

Quito-Machachi by bus from Quitumbe bus station in the south of Quito (about $1.50...make sure you go into the town center for the easiest route or alternatively, you will be dropped off on the Pan American Highway and can walk into town)

Once in Machachi, you can hire a camioneta (green striped truck-taxis that can be found just out side the central market of Machachi or sometimes just driving around town). This should cost about $15-20 and will take you straight to Santa Ana (I suggest asking Santa Ana ahead of time how much a camioneta from Machachi to their hotel should be)

From Santa Ana to Baños...get back to Machachi (Santa Ana can call a camioneta for you or may even be available to drive you back into town). There are a couple of options: one is to ask around for a bus going from Machachi town into Latacunga. Alternatively, you can cross the PanAmerican Highway and flag down a bus headed for Baños from there. They will (or should) only pick you up if they have seats available but there's a chance you may be standing for part of the ride. Bus cost should be no more than $3-4

Bus from Baños to Quito (Quitumbe station) will cost $3.50-4.

To get to Quitumbe bus station in Quito, you can either take a cab or hop on the EcoVia or Trole transit lines. Just make sure to read the placard in front of the bus to ensure it goes all the way to Quitumbe.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Nicole

Amazon Andes Sky

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

NicoleAAS, Thank you for your reply. Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes, we are looking for private transport or something in between. We are not packing a lot of luggage, but more than I want to carry on buses. We are open to sharing a ride, if that is a possibility, however with the one way transport we need that may not be possible?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Oh shucks...apologies, then, for the useless information :)

First, have you inquired with Santa Ana about transport costs from Quito? They are a little off the beaten path so may offer reasonable rates themselves.

A transport company I work with regularly charges just over $100/day for up to 2 people to the areas you mentioned. Their rates increase as the party grows. How many are in your group? It is rather complicated to make arrangements with this particular company without being physically present in Quito but I mention it because I imagine you could find comparable rates either with your hotels along the way or through recommendations on this forum.

How is your Spanish? I have some drivers to recommend if you're comfortable with the language. Also, many folks on this forum have suggested English speaking driver/guides who may be able to assist...if you search the forum, you'll find a ton. The most popular seems to be a gentleman named Lincoln.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

NicoleAAS, Thank you for your time. There will be just my wife and I and we unfortunately do not speak Spanish, however we have gotten by with non English speaking drivers that just take us from point to point and we are okay with that. I have requested information from the Santa Ana Hacienda as well as the hostals where we are staying. My previous experience has been that they have been high in price due to the commission they get for making the arrangements. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Hi NicoleAAS! I read your post as I was looking for some informations to rent (hire) a camioneta in Machachi to go to Quilotao through Chugchilan and come back the tomorrow via Latacunga. Do you know if it's possible to rent a 4x4 to do that loop. I have went through a lot of blogs to try to find a bus schedules but it seems that there is no buses that would leave Quilotao at a reasonable hour to Latacunga (not at 5:00 am)! I speak Spanish also if that can help. Thanks

Edited: 14 November 2013, 03:34
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Definitely possible although I am unsure how much they will charge if you pick one up in Machachi.

There are usually several camionetas parked across the street from the market in town so finding one will be easy and then let the fun of negotiations begin! For reference, a typical fare from Quito to Chugchilan is $100. From Chugchilan to Latacunga, you can get a ride for max $60. If you contract the same driver for the entire loop, just know that you will be responsible for housing and feeding him/her so figure that in to your "costs."

You COULD arrive by bus through Latacunga-Chugchilan through Sigchos (departs Latacunga daily at 11:20am and costs about $2.50) and hire a camioneta for your return through Quilotoa. Any of the hotels/hostals would be able to call someone for you and you'll likely be able to find a driver on your own as Quilotoa is such a draw for tourists.

Take a look at the Black Sheep Inn website. They are located in Chugchilan and can make arrangements for you or are at least a great reference point. My guess is that you can negotiate better fares if you have the time and patience to arrange it all yourself but at least their price points give you a good price ceiling :) They also have a great chart of bus schedules and other suggestions

blacksheepinn.com/directions/traveloptions.p…

Hope that's not too much to sort through! Best of luck and have a wonderful time!

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

Hi NicoleAAS! I agree for the Black Sheep Inn, I have went through their website already. We would like to reach Chugchilan in the late afternoon and be back to Latacunga the tomorrow at the end of the day. So, we are in the oppisite way to the bus traffic. That's why I was thinking about hiring a camioneta. We want to visit the area between climbing the Ilizina Norte and the Cotopaxi. I have found some agencies that proposed the whole trip. The costs is roughly USD 150 for the 2 of us for driving the entire loop. So, I guess we will pay this price since we don't want to get stuck somewhere and need a good rest before heading to the Cotopaxi's refuge. Thanks again for your help! MC

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

The buses from Latacunga run through Sigchos (the northern start of the loop) OR through Zumbahua (beginning the loop in the south). The 11:20am bus from Latacunga will take you the Sigchos way to Chugchilan and you can take a camioneta from there to complete the loop, passing Laguna Quilotoa on your way. So...that's just to say that if you're interested in reducing your costs, you have an option. You would need to depart from Latacunga AND make sure you're a little early to make the bus.

Does the $150 include all lodging, food, driver, and transport? If so, that's not a bad price for the convenience of knowing someone else is making sure your schedule is kept to. If it is just the cost for transportation, make sure you're not hit with the surprise of needing to cover driver costs on top of the proposed transport cost.

Sounds like you have everything under control :) Have a GREAT time and enjoy the summit of Cotopaxi at sunrise...ahhhhhh, what a view!

Edited: 15 November 2013, 00:30
9. Re: Suggestions for Drivers or Taxis One Way Drop Off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:20