We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I will be traveling for 3 weeks in Ecuador from August 15th to September 5th. For the first 10 days I will be traveling with a friend and we will be visiting Quito, Octavlo, Banos, and Cuenca. Afterwards I will be traveling solo and wondering what might be possible or preferable:

Amazon like Coca or the Galapagos or both?

Just curious, considering weather, traveling solo, etc.

Me. I enjoy hiking and or activity, nature, etc. I used to be an avid scuba diver but not sure if its a good season to do that. Leaving soon and have organized the big logistics but just starting to get into some of the travel locations. Budget-wise: from budget to middle.

Thanks, Mitch

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,706 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

The diving in Galapagos is spectacular and often at or near the top of many divers' bucket lists. But it ain't cheap; even land-based diving will run a couple hundred a day. Just to get there will cost around $600 in airfare and park fees. On the Galapagos forum there is a Top Question on the right (Cruise vs. land-based) that includes a link to a lengthy budget-minded trip report. There is no bad time to go.

The Amazon offers excellent wildlife viewing, but you must go to a lodge farther in than the backpacker's favorite of Tena, which is surrounded by secondary forest and almost no wildlife. For the most bang for your buck, take a look at the Cuyabeno region, a unique flooded rainforest. There are several lodging options, though I would avoid one that includes a canned "village visit" unless they can offer you an alternative excursion.

No one knows what "budget to middle" means except you. Take a look at some of the hotel offerings and pick a few that suit you, then we can help you narrow it down.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

Thanks for the response.

More than fair that "budget to mid level" is ambiguous. I would probably say between $50-250/ day I could do.

Is 9 days enough time to do a bit of both or would you recommend choosing one of the destinations.

Great to hear it is great diving all year round.

I will do a search on diving options as part of the research.

Like the recommendation to go far enough in the amazon to see real wild life and not to go for "orchestrated" village visits.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

The weather on the Amazon side of the country (and this includes places like Banos) is rather awful in this season. The good weather right now is in the central highlands, Quito, Otavalo, Latacumga, ... and if you want to go in forests, I'd rather recommend the cloud forests on the West side of the highlands.

I have been in Ecuador now for 20 days. Of course, I don't know if the weather will change in the next month.

4. Re: Traveling in August. Amazon or Galapagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now