We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-week visit with 11 year old in January

Cleveland
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
3-week visit with 11 year old in January

I am looking at Ecuador for 3 weeks. I want to spend 2 weeks in a language program with my 11 year old son. Then free travel the last week. I was thinking 1 week in Quito, 1 week in cuencas, and th en 1 week at the beach, ideally in beachside low budget setting-is there such a thing? . I speak spanish. We want to use public transport. If y ou had 3 weeks only, what would be your "must see" areas?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-week visit with 11 year old in January

sounds like a good plan to me. For the beach I'd head to Puerto Lopez, where there are lots of animals, etc. "poor man's galapagos" they say, and plenty of accomodation choices for all budgets.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-week visit with 11 year old in January

Sounds great to me too. I used to live in Cuenca and it is the prettiest city in Ecuador. You can find reasonable places to stay on the beach. Puerto Lopez mentioned by American in Quito is beautifull. It would be a bit of a trip from Cuenca on the bus but it can be done!

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-week visit with 11 year old in January

to get to Pto Lopez from Quito you can take a flight to Manta for about $100 RT, then a bus (dirt cheap) or a van (about $60, arrange through your hotel) from there, about 2 hours. Presumbably you could take a flight from Cuenca to Manta as well...

MIAMI, FLA.
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-week visit with 11 year old in January

Guayaquil has gone thru a major facelift and is quite beautiful. El Malecon 2000, las penas..to name a few places. Guayaquil is also close to some spectular beaches, one of the being Playas. Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

5. Re: 3-week visit with 11 year old in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 21:19