We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

I am taking a tour of Ecuador through a travel agency staying in hotels the entire trip. Would I still need to get Yellow Fever and Typhoid inoculations? They are very expensive.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

Depends on what parts you're going to. The risk of either is fairly low. Are you up to date on your Tdap and Hep A?

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

This is a guided tour with Gate 1 and the general consensus is "not needed". I already had a Yellow Fever inoculation a few years ago for a trip to Africa and Hep. But not sure if I need a booster for Typhoid. I will be near the amazon for one night but in a tourist hotel.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

You can follow the CDC recommendations here: …cdc.gov/travel/…ecuador

Typhoid shot, I think, is only good for 2 years, so you might want a booster--talk to your doctor. Yellow fever is good for 10 years.

Did you get Hepatitis A or Hep. B? We got both on the recommendation of our travel doctor and also our son-in-law who is a doctor and who travels a lot. If you have to get some type of medical treatment, for example, in a remote area, you can't be sure that the medical equipment is properly cared for. My philosophy is that I want to be as safe as possible.

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

The WHO update on March 2014 states "a single dose of YF vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained immunity and life long protection...... a booster dose is not needed" . Thanks everyone; I've got the info I needed.

5. Re: Inocualtions for travel to Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17