We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small villages/fishing villages

Brownsburg, IN
Level Contributor
71 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Small villages/fishing villages

I may be visiting Ecuador for a couple of weeks in October. I don't think I'll have the money to see Galapagos (my dream trip), but I think I can still have a great time checking out other sights in Ecuador. I HATE large busy cities. I LOVE small villages, non-touristy, slow pace exploring. I understand Banos might be a good place to visit. I'd love to know of other villages/towns that I should consider. Maybe coastal fishing villages, maybe something in/near the jungle....I'd love to see a live volcano, maybe go fishing, etc. I don't need a bunch of activities....just a relaxing place or two to enjoy the locals....have some good food, and relax relax relax. Any suggestions??

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small villages/fishing villages

Baños is tourist central for both Ecuadorians and foreigners. I personally enjoy it, but if you don't like being around lots of tourists, you might want to rethink going there. The nearby Tungurahua volcano has been on-and-off active for a couple of years now. The village of Salasaca is a very interesting weaving village, about an hour from Baños.

Otavalo and the surroundings are really nice. Yes, the market attracts a lot of visitors as well but I always enjoy the cultural experience of chatting with the handsome and friendly Otavaleños. You might enjoy staying at the very personable La Luna, in the hills above the village. Read the reviews and see what you think.

If you really want off the beaten path, I recommend Salinas de Guaranda. I've written about it several times in the past; do a quick search and you'll find it. In the general area is Chimborazo volcano. I believe there is some trout fishing near Riobamba but am not sure. Hostería Andaluza, not too far from the volcano and city, might be able to advise you.

Coastal fishing village--there are many. Puerto López is a place I really like. I'm not sure if any are set up to take visitors fishing, though.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small villages/fishing villages

Banos is definitely not an authentic village quite the contrary, but there are huindreds of villages where you can go in Ecuadoir. Just a few examples:

- the INTAG valley below Otavalo: Apuela, Funca San Antonio

- Oyacachi near Cayambe

- Moran near El Angel

Closer to Banos there is some rural tourism in a few villages between Riobamba and Chimborazo.

3. Re: Small villages/fishing villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:17