We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Ecuador

Guatemala
5 posts
Save Topic
9 days in Ecuador

After our Galapagos cruise, we have a full 9 days. Having a really hard time making a decision. Possiblities are:

Staying an additional 3 nights in Villamil, Isabela Island (after an 8 day cruise) - or will that be enough of the islands?

Amazon (Tena) - 3 nights at either Cotococha Lodge or Casa del Suizo. I also need information on Ecuadorian public buses...or if there is any other way to get to Tena.

Otavalo - 2 (or 3) nights Casa Andina or Hacienda Pinsiqui

and possibly Bellavista Cloud Forest - 1 or 2 nights

(Thought we would rent a car for this portion.)

Cotopaxi area - Hacienda Cienaga?

Devil's Nose train?

Any comments/feedback/suggestions would be welcome. I have to decide this week as this is over the Christmas/New Year period...

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Ecuador

I love Hcda. Pinsaqui - and also Cusin. I've never seen or stayed at Casa Andina.

Cienaga raised their prices some time ago, and they're pretty shabby rooms for the new prices. - although I don't know of other mid-range options in the area. For a little more $$, stay at San Agustin de Callo or Hato Verde.

Devil's Nose train is interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth sacrificing something else just to do it. If you start in Riobamba you get a spectacular view of Chimborazo from the roof of the train, but it's a long train ride. What about 2-3 days in the Cuenca area? See Cuenca, the Parque Nacional Cajas, maybe even a trip to Ingapirca?

Wait a second, where is Quito in your itinerary?! Be sure to spend a couple of days so that you can see the amazing historic center!

usa
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Ecuador

Casa del Suizo is a fairly large hotel/resort feel- Cotococha much more quaint and interesting. Spent a few nights with Cotococha- very relaxing. River People is the rafting co used in Tena. Neither lodge is deep into the rainforest, but gives you a good taste with option to venture into more remote locations.

3. Re: 9 days in Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 00:17