We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

Hi, Dh and I will be spending 4 nights total in Quito, during our trip to Ecuador in September.

The first 2 nights will be following a stay in Otavalo, and prior to going to the Quilotoa region, and then for acclimatization hikes and hopefully summiting Cotopaxi. During our full day I would like to visit the teleferico, and the Capillo del Hombre. I was thinking that we could stay in Marsical. We will be coming from Otavalo likely in the late afternoon on a Saturday, and leaving on a Monday morning for the Quilotoa region.

The 2nd set of 2 nights will be after the mountains, prior to going home, and we will have 2 half days and 1 full day. I was thinking of staying in the historic center, and doing a free tour and visiting various museums, churches, and historic sites. We will be going from here to the airport on a Friday afternoon (flight at 6 p.m.).

Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or is there some reason to spend all 4 nights total in 1 place rather than 2 places? Any traffic issues that make staying in 1 place better than the other?

Thanks,

K

5 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

It really does not matter. Since you will be packing up and moving around anyway, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

It kinda comes down to personal preferences... just a little bit.

Undoubtedly...the Mariscal location certainly embodies that "South American European-ish" style district encompassing it's fair share of bars, restaurants, colorful smallish shops to pick up a trinkets or two...and certainly a decent little area to walk around...the streets are a little wider and have that "less cramped in...a little less claustrophobic two story buildings closing in around you.

However...that's not necessarily a bad thing... especially if you really like your history, appreciation of incredible 500 year old Spanish colonial architecture, and completely immersing yourself within that "authentic South American local cultural.

If that's the case... look no further.

You've found your place.

For sure...the place really shuts down pretty early in the evening. Most of the shops, stores, and, generally, the streets become much less crowded after 7-8 p.m.

But...

Wow... the Old Town definitely has it's charms. There's nothing like taking in the atmosphere around the Plaza Grande area with it's palm tree, water fountain, awesome churches, and generally interesting place to people watch and soak up some of that vibrant culture.

In addition... just taking a meandering stroll around some of the side streets is fun, too.

With that being said...on my recent visit...I stayed in the Old Town in an incredible hotel within a stones throw of the Plaza and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regardless... whatever location you prefer...just remember that taxis are plentiful and (drum roll... please) extremely inexpensive... especially compared to many places in the world.

So... getting around between locations won't be difficult and you'll be able to travel around freely.

Enjoy!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
14 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

There are traffic jams in Quito as in any city... you will be ok you only need to book in advance the transfer out from your hotel to the Airport, it is about 25USD for the ride on a taxi cab and it will take 45 minutes from Quito Historic Center (Downtown) you can find easily them on google taxisaeropuertoquito.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

Thanks for the info and opinions, much appreciated. K

california
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels

That's really a good point.

Especially around and within the Old Town (with it's plethora of convoluted, circuitous, and meandering one way streets).

Recently...I was a little slow on the uptake...and it took me a couple of days to "catch up on the learning curve".

If you're trying to get around (or completely avoid the gridlocked Centro Historico)... don't be afraid to walk upwardly westward ( toward the mountain side) or easterly (one block past Bulevar sucre Flores)...which is the main road that the Estascion Marin Central bus runs on.

Wow...

What a difference!

Just removing yourself one or two blocks from the "center of gridlock" can have a profound impact on your ability to traverse this district sanely (just sitting in the back of a taxi for ten minutes waiting to move one block... while repeating the same situation once your vehicle makes the turn...will absolutely drive you crazy!)

Not to mention the time and money you'll save by consciously, meticulously, and strategically avoiding those traffic "bottlenecks".

Reply to: 2+2 nights in Quito, where to stay, same hotel or 2 hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted