We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Quito

phila., pa.
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Quito

Is it wise to rent a car to take day trips from Quito to Otavlo, Tena, ect. Thanks Dominic

Quito
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Quito

Hi Dominic, I wouldn't say it is wise to drive in Ecuador if you haven't been here before.

There are not enough driving signs, and sometimes these are not clear, besides roads are not to safe, nor wide for somebody without experience driving here.

If you are planning your trip with somebody who knows the places you want to go, then I don't see any problem.

Good Luck

phila., pa.
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Quito

Thank You Dominic

England, Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Quito

Its not wise driving in Ecuador as it just makes your life harder and takes the fun out of your holiday.

My parents where here and they rented a 4x4 with a driver who took them all over the place, thye loved every minute you can read there blog here -

ola-adventures.com/2007/04/19/quillatoa-loop…

Good luck!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Quito

Just wanted to chime in with the rest! Unless you speak spanish it would be difficult to find your way. Just as mentioned, there is not always a sign marking the way, or if there is you can not understand what is meant by it. So you have to ask for directions. Driving in Latin America is totally different.

Williston, Vermont
Level Contributor
122 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Quito

New signs on the highways! It's encouraging to note that new road signs have been popping up on some highways around Quito. If this keeps up, driving may eventually be easier for visitors (although I certainly agree with the above, that it's better to hire a driver and car.)

6. Re: Driving from Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 11:24