We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guide/driver quito-otovalo

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
guide/driver quito-otovalo

We need a guide/driver to take us from our quito hotel to the market in otovalo for the morning and visit sites/interesting places on the way back. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. Thanks!

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

Hello

I know a few guides that came organize for you the visit to Otavalo, they have a 4x4 rodeo, excellent certified license guide. Pls if you need more information you can contact us.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

Your hotel in Quito should be able to get a taxi for your family to Otavalo. If you request one that speaks English (if required) you may have to pay a little more. You will also have to pay more for any stops you make on the way back. A direct trip in a taxi from Quito to Otavalo should cost $45 each way (current price).

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

Otovalo is a beautifull place! You may want to consider at least spending the night there! There is much more to do than just the market, which is alot of fun. I second with having your hotel book your driver. They know whom they can trust.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

We did this same trip as we arrived one day early for our Celebrity Cruise. From the Marriott Hotel we asked for, in advance via 3-mail, that Julio be out guide. He had a great reputation on this web site. He is fluent in English and we had a great time. We left at 8:00 am and returned back at 5:00 pm. Cost was $120 (we gave hime $150).

If you are staying at the Marriott the business desk at the hotel can make these arrangements for you in advance.

England, Arkansas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

We just did a trip with OLA Adventures they had a really cool guide and we got to see and do loads of stuff. Its cost us $35 per person....

Northern California
Level Contributor
785 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

I just returned from Quito. I used the guide/driver whom Medic recommended, Julio Rosero. Highest recommendation. It turns out that Julio essentially works for the Mariott. He drives a Mariott-owned vehicle. He is fluent in English. We had some unusual requests to which he was completely responsive. The charge was a mere $12 per hour--which possibly related to the fact that there were just 2 of us and we did not go inter-city.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

My family just returned from Ecuador and had a great time. We hired a guide and driver that were terrific. The guide Santiago(santiago_mata1@hotmail.com) had lived in the U.S and had good English. The driver Edison was from Otivalo. His English was limited but he was extremely patient with our learning Spanish. My kids (18, 15, 10) loved him. We customized a tour and in 4 days managed to tour Quito extensively, go to both equator museums (skip the big monument and go to the small privately owned museum. It is on the actual equator (check by GPS while the big monument is off by 600 meters) They show you all kinds of experiments that were facinating and clearly demonstrated gravitational forces. We also spent a day going to Otavalo and surrounding towns. We were there on a Sunday and it was still very interesting. We stayed in Peguche at the La Casa Sol which was stunning. It was right next to the falls which you could hear from your private balcony. The cost for 2 was about $60 with tax and included breakfast and dinner. Don't pass this up if you have time. We also managed to see weaving demonstrations and instrument making. We toured the pyramids (cochasuqui), and hiked around yanacoche lake. We went to Mindo to bird watch and hiked and zip lined through the rain forest and saw the amazing bleeding trees (Sangre de Dragon, visited a butterfly farm and inner tubed down a river. Both the guide and driver were really into plants and folk medicine, birds and politics. We had great discussions about all subjects. I can't recommend these 2 highly enough. We packed alot into 4 days. They were gracious, informative and really looked out for all of us. We paid $50 per person per day which may have been a bit high, but it was worth every penny.

8. Re: guide/driver quito-otovalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 02:20