We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

We recently went to Quito for a wedding and wanted to take a few day trips -- one to Otavalo, and one to el Mitad del Mundo. We were staying at the Hotel Sebastian and had Victor Alban recommended to us as a great tour guide...and he is!

Victor is so kind, speaks flawless English, is smart, knowledgeable, and thoughtful. He's unbelievable. The guy works 3 jobs to allow his kids to go to private schools so they can improve their lives and is still so lively and positive, it's unreal.

Along the way, unprompted, he stopped to buy us local fruit and cookies that you can only get on the way to Otavalo (they were both delicious). He stopped at scenic vistas and took photos of us and gave us information about the area.

He is a real class act. If we go back to Quito, I'm going to pre-arrange everything through him. He's fabulous. His email: vicalban@hotmail.com.

Great guy!

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

In accordance with ecuadorian tourism law it is illegal for Tour Guides to take tourists around Ecuador without a tour operator. If there is a accident envolving the tour, the traveller will be practically left on its own. Most Tour Guides don't even have inssurance for their vehicles and passengers. It's always good to be aware of this. If you travel to a foreign country is always good to respect the local laws.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Victor owns his own tour company -- it's called Christland Tours, so I believe he's legal. He's not just a guy in a cab. Thanks!

Ecuador
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Thank you so much for your update. It is really important for the tourism industry workers to know this. In Ecuador we are concerned about all the unfair competence that in some ways destroys our business. Regards.

moscow
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

How can I find him? His company is not in Internet! Do you have phone or e-mail? Thanks in advance/

Jersey, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Hi 5ContinentBo! I would like to use Victor but as I am a girl travelling on my one am a little nervous - is there anything else you can say/send to me that can give me some more info ???? Thanks

6. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 13:25
Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Does he work for a service or just himself? What was the rate structure?

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Hi Bubba1202 & AndieJersey!

I'd also like to recommend Dennis Yepez. He provided a very memorable Quito city tour when I was there in July. We arranged the tour completely through email contact. Check out galapagosxpeditions.com for contact information.

Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Hi Daniel and SalemVA,

We are going to be in Quito in two weeks. I contacted Dennis regarding a day tour to Octavalo and the Equator. He has requested a bank transfer for payment which makes me wary. I would prefer credit card, or even cash upon arrival. Can you please let me know how payment was arranged and what the rates were per person?

Thanks so much...we are very excited about our upcoming trip!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Tours Out of Quito -- Use Victor!

Dennis Yepes has a good reputation. It is customary to transfer money here rather than pay by card (because the card companies charge the businesses a fee, which cuts into their profits). I wouldn´t be concerned about it. I don´t think cash on arrival would guarantee availability.