We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Yellow Fever

Do you need the yellow fever vaccine to travel to Quito or the Galapagos islands? I am unable to get the shot but I want to take my kids somewhere where they can see beauty and nature. Is there enough things to do in Quito and nearby areas to keep an 11 year old interested?

Thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever

YF is not necessary for either Quito or Galapagos, just the Amazon basin. See the CDC's Web site for travelers for recommended shots.

What is the 11 year old interested in? I can't imagine a kid that age not enjoying the islands. There are also tons of volcanos to visit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever

Not that AZ's answers weren't absolutely correct, but will echo. I actually did have the YF vaccine, but it was unnecessary for me. Quito's altitude at 9000 feet is such that mosquitoes aren't an issue. Galapagos I'm not personally sure about, but would trust the person who lives there (and you can check the CDC's website too). In all my travels, the question was never asked of me regarding vaccinations (not that it doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the question regardless, but it wasn't asked).

Regarding keeping the 11 year old occupied...as noted depends on the 11 year old. However, my guess is you'll find enough things to see that will occupy him/her - perhaps if for no reason than it's simply not PA (or anywhere in the US).

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever

www.mdtravelhealth.com

Ecuador correct CDC health info.

YF only needed in the Amazon.

lots for kids to do in Quito

travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Ecuador/quito.htm

4. Re: Yellow Fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:16