We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Detroit
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

We are traveling to Quito on Nov 12. We are considering renting a car to travel from Quito to Otavalo and then to Banos. Do we need an international driver's license? What are driving conditions like? Thanks for any information.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Ecuadorian drivers, while licensed, have their own unwritten rules (like, "never yield to anyone, anytime, for any reason"). Roads to major destinations are pretty good, though not especially well-marked with signage. I just returned from Baños and there's a big detour for road repair that added nearly an hour to the drive time. The Ecuadorian friend who was driving was even getting a little confused with the lack of signs.

I don't drive here; public transportation is easy and cheap. The long-distance buses are comfortable and easy to use.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

I'm typically not a timid driver but driving in Quito is complete mayhem. The road signs are confusing and it seems that the law of gross tonage prevails (big vehicles just squeeze the smaller ones out of the way). Once you're out of the city, it's not bad but you'll definitely need to rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle for driving the back roads. When it's all said and done, it may be more economical to take public transportation or taxis in Quito and hire a driver for your trips to Otovalo and Banos. There are plenty of reputable agencies in Quito who could arrange this for you.

Safe travels!

3. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 13:25
4. Re: car rental

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 13:25
Detroit
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

Thank you for your reply. I think we will leave driving to the locals! Is there a website for bus transportation? Is there a direct bus from otavalo to banos?

Detroit
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Thank you for the information. I think we will leave driving to the locals. I was wondering if there is a website with bus schedules. We were looking for a bus from Otavalo to Banos.

7. Re: car rental

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:21