We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations??

New York
Level Contributor
869 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations??

I am traveling to Ecuador on the 22nd of this month and during my visit I will be spending 2-3 days in the Amazon at a lodge. I was "recommened" by the lodge to get one for yellow fever (and take the Malaria pills). Is it imperative that I get this? Am I stupid for not? I know I "should", but I am being realistic as I do not have much time. The person from the lodge who I have been in contact with told me they have not had anything of the two mentioned in over 10 years.

Thanks,

Keith

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations??

I would skip the YF vax unless you´re traveling on to another country that requires proof of vax. Malaria is a serious illness, so weigh the options carefully. I will say that the two times I have visited the Amazon, there were virtually no mosquitos, and the second time I didn´t bother with the malaria prophylaxis (not vaccination). Wear long sleeves and pants at dawn and dusk, and use picaridin or DEET.

New York
Level Contributor
869 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations??

Thanks for the response on this too. Just didnt feel like spending another $200 and a dr's fee...and not sure if it was more of another way for my money to be dried up with little reason.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations??

My experience when I traveled was this...I did get both, plus some shots for things such as Typhoid and one of the Hepititis, as for me it was relatively inexpensive with my particular insurance. That said, I met a number of people on my 5 month journey through Ecuador and Central America with several of them not having taken the shots or doing medications for Malaria (and in seemingly good health). That's all not to say these items aren't a good idea in general, but you'll probably be okay if you choose to pass. Just know you're taking something more of a chance of bringing home more than just souvenirs/pictures/stories.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,104 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations??

Yes, Hep A is definitely a good idea, as is a tetanus booster.

5. Re: Vaccinations??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2010, 05:18