We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
47 reviews
Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

I realize that "best" is a highly subjective term. But I am looking for a neighborhood that is fairly central, has character, decent mid-range hotel options, and is safe to walk around in. (Given the usual caveats about avoiding dark side streets late at night.) My time frame is early April. Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

Glad to see you do realize "best" is subjective, but Mariscal probably hits most of your points. Reasonably central to most places you might want to go in Quito, decent hotel options (and hostel, but that's another matter) and should be fairly safe to walk. Perhaps the toughest point is character...it is also probably the most touristy and is somewhat known as "Gringoland". That said, I walked extensively and think you can get to more interesting areas while using Mariscal as your base.

That's at least my opinion...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

Thanks for you reply. I remember reading, I think maybe on Trip Advisor that Mariscal actually now had more crime and harassment than the Old Town historic area, which has been cleaned up. I guess the idea is that all the gringos in Mariscal make for easy targets. Did you find this to be true at all while you were there? (I take most things I read with a grain of salt.) So, overall, would you recommend Quito for a short (2-3 days) visit? I won't have time for Galapagos. Did you take any day trips out of Quito? Thanks again.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

I stayed inLa Mariscal July 18-21 and July 23-26, 2009 at Café Cultura. My husband and I took frequent walks all around La Mariscal and had no trouble. I even went out alone a couple of times in early afternoon and again, no trouble. Café Cultura had a locked gate and an armed guard was posted at night. There were the usual panhandlers and little kids trying to sell candy all over Quito but I’ve encountered similar stuff in big cities in the US and a lot worse in Mexico.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

I visit the Mariscal area maybe once a month, mainly to shop at the new and used book stores there and eat at the occasional restaurant. For some reason I've never felt threatened or insecure by myself during the day, or with another friend or two at night.

There is crime there, usually opportunistic when someone's not paying attention or wanders down a deserted street after hitting the bars.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

Others have already spoken and, frankly, with more recent experience (I was in Quito now already two years ago...much too long!) That said, I traveled alone and walked everywhere as I didn't feel my Spanish was good enough to try to read signs while driving. I also walked at night in Mariscal. That all said, I would agree with the other posters...panhandlers and such, yes (though certainly not limited to Mariscal)...same on opportunistic crime but I really feel if you use commonsense you should encounter little problem. Don't flash cash or valuables, etc...

As far as Old Town, you'll probably be okay safety-wise there too, I just don't remember as many hotels in Old Town. That's not to say they're not there, I just don't remember them. I also remember it a bit more on the south side of the city as opposed to more in the center. If you stay there, you should be fine...you can always take either the Trole (rail car) or an inexpensive cab ride.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
43 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

I vote for Republica del Salvador neighborhood (a/k/a Little Manhattan). There are plenty of places you can walk to, some nice hotels, and it's right next to the large Carolina park. True, there is not as much action as you will find in La Mariscal, but it's a little more sophisticated and, remember, once nightfall comes and the traffic dies down, you can get anywhere quickly via taxi for $2.

Very close and walkable to: La Carolina park; Supermaxi; Supercine; Quicentro Mall; El Jardin Mall; Ecovia trole; many restaurants; Estadio Olímpico Atahualpa (soccer stadium).

new york
Level Contributor
147 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

I'm partial to Old historic towns so I would choose the historic part of the city

its centrally located, about a $2 cab fare to Mariscal "gringo landia" Lots to see there are some great places to eat and some nice little bars.

8. Re: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 07:36