We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Travel to Ecuador

Pearland, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Family Travel to Ecuador

My husband, myself and 2 children, 7 and 3 will be traveling to Quito mid-March. Would you be so kind to suggest some kid-friendly places we must visit and/or hotels we should stay?

We've read lots of posts about safety, not sure how much it's exaggerated, but for the sake of our young children, should we hire a tour guide or private driver throughout our stay?

From the research I've done online, these are some of the tourist destinations we'd like to visit. Please feel free to suggest additional ones not listed.

- Teleferico

- Mitad del Mundo

- Otavalo Market

- Cotopaxi

- La Mariscal

- Old Town Quito

- El Panecillo

- Cuenca

- Banos

- A village that makes music instruments?

- I also heard Ecuador is the world's largest suppliers of roses, we'd like to visit the countryside for these views

- A must for us is also to go horseback riding

Not interested in Mindo (kids are too young to hike) or the Hot Springs (probably kids won't enjoy this either).

Thank you!

Edited: 23 February 2011, 04:34
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Travel to Ecuador

This may help, but i will leave it to the experts to give more detail.

We went recently to Ecuador, Quito, Cuenta, Cotopaxi etc., no problems with safety as long as you take the obvious precautions, ie don't flash expensive Jewellery around etc.

Re manufacture of musical instruments our Guide took us to meet a family near Otavalo that made and played Pan Pipes.

Quite an enjoyable visit, I am sure your kids would like it.

Can't give any additional details as to name/location but again the experts may know.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 09:29
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Travel to Ecuador

We did a family eco-tour with a guide and it was fantastic! Not only do you avoid wasting time trying to get here and there (a guide handles all the details), but you also don't have to worry about where to eat (especially with little kids), where to go, etc. The guides are very knowledgeable and can provide so much information -- history, culture, etc. -- that you will not get otherwise. Also, they generally know people personally in some of the villages and can take you to visit panpipe makers, weavers, woodcarvers, etc. in their homes. (Sometimes their own children are there and it's fun for older kids to meet and make friends. In our group the kids ended up spending an afternoon playing soccer with kids in the local community near Otavalo.)

Many of the villages north of Quito are known for specific artisans -- the leather town, the weavers, etc. so it's very interesting to meet individuals. Also, it's wonderful if you can stay in one of the haciendas, such as Zuleta (the home of two former presidents of Ecuador) or Hacienda Cusin near Otavalo (very convenient). There's horseback riding, lovely gardens, etc. and excellent food.

I often blog about Ecuador and have pics at my site. Feel free to send a personal message with any questions.

http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Travel to Ecuador

Quito can be done in one day combining Equator, Teleferico and Old town.

Otavalo market is a must. There are beautiful haciendas where you can go for horseback riding with your children. The best would be to stay overnight on each place so you get to exoerience all of them.

At Cotopaxi you can horseback ride and climb to the refuge where you can play snow ball war with your kids.

Baños is another must with kids. Take them to explore the marvellous Pastaza river canyon and hike down to el Pailon del Diablo fall or Manto de la Novia falls. There is a typical toffee in town that is called "melcocha", your kids might love it. Also in town there are motorized caterpillars that take kids and parents on rides around town, children love those...

Don't forget the volcanic hot pools, kids all ages love them. To go to Baños is better to go for a one or two night stay.

Cuenca is a nice city, from there you can reach Ingapirca ruins and try the "Tambo Coyoctor" train ride (15 min.)

For the kids, Baños would be enchanting. If you like beaches and coast I would suggest visiting Isla de la Plata where you can see blue, Nazca and Red footed boobies.

For your comfort and children sake, use the private services of any reputable travel company. Make sure they provide vehicles with passenger inssurance and licensed tour guides.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Edited: 28 February 2011, 16:11
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
94 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Travel to Ecuador

Are you done with this? Should we help any more?

5. Re: Family Travel to Ecuador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 19:16