We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

We are looking to book an Amazon tour from Jan 2 - 6th 2012, at the Siona lodge. Could someone tell me how long it would take to get from Quito to Lago Agrio on a public bus? Also, do the buses run on Jan 1 - New Years day?

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

It's around eight hours.

Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

Thanks! Do you know if the buses run on holiday's?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

I'm sure they do, but probably not as frequently. Personally, I would ask Siona to arrange transportation to Lago Agrio. The lodges will often arrange a van or bus with stops along the way.

Edited: 02 December 2011, 02:48
Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

Okay, thanks!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

hi guys - saw your notes and am currently planning a trip - do you know where to get the bus tkts from pls? Thanks in advance! Any advice appreciated - travelling between Quito and Amazon.

Katherine

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

I'm pretty sure you just get them from the bus terminal. I am sure wherever you are staying will be able to direct you to where to purchase the tickets

Otavalo
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

Every town has a 'bus terminal' with windows to the various bus operators and there is where you purchase bus tickets. If you hail a bus on the panamerican highway, you just pay on the bus. My opinion is definitely not to travel by bus on New Year's day, Azbuceadora is right about less buses travelling on the roads, and they will be packed with people standing AND there is the alcohol element, many drivers, including the bus driver, will be drinking, drunk or hung over and having to face the same thing with others on the road.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

IMPORTANT!

The tickets to/from Lago Agrio sell out because of all the oil workers. The seats are pre-assigned by number. You need to buy your ticket a day in advance.

I slept on the trip but other tourists could not sleep through all the jolting about as we travelled across the Andes.

9. Re: Bus ride: How long from Quito to Lago Agrio? Amazon tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:40