We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

Help please! I'm traveling on a budget and have read that we can purchase discounted tours by waiting until we reach Quito instead of pre-booking online. But I'm a little nervous about having enough time since we will be there during but towards the end of the busy season: 8/23-9/7. Is it too risky to wait to book? We aren't picky travelers. Thank you!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

You will probably find tourist offices in Quito where you can book trips to the islands and there are also many tour outfits on the islands--we saw them everywhere in Puerto Ayora. The problem is that you don't know about the quality of the guides you will get. You might even find a guide on the islands who is a creationist. It is certainly possible to just fly out to the islands and then book a day trip, or perhaps more to other islands. I suggest you do more research on tour companies. My wife and I visited in April and our guides, from a company called Galikiwi were outstanding, but it cost almost $4,000 each which included airfare, boat travel between islands, and accomodations/meals. I recommed that you consider tours that let you stay in hotels on the islands,

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

Anyone considering a last-minute booking should be well-armed with research about the various boats and itineraries so you know what you're getting into.

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

Thank you for the replies. I understand that I need to be well-researched but I'm still not clear about how if last minute tours will be available at the end of August? And how long it might take to arrange them? Any ideas?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

This is the roulette wheel of booking last minute. You can't know what's available, or when, until you walk into the office. That's why you need to know the boats and their itineraries for making a snap decision. I suggest determining your "must-see" animals or islands and look at some boats' A and B itineraries to see which ones best fit your heart's desire. (Sea lions, Blue-footed Boobies, and marine iguanas are a given so don't put those on your list.)

If you can take or leave a visit to Galapagos, go the last-minute route. If this is something you've been dying to do, book ahead to get the best boat and itinerary you can afford.

5. Re: purchasing discount last min. galapagos and amazon tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:16