We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NU House Boutique Hotel

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
NU House Boutique Hotel

Hi, we are off for a romantic 10 days in Ecuador, staying at the NU House Boutique Hotel before travelling on to Hacienda Primavera for a week. Has anyone stayed at this place recently, if so, how was your experience, any recommendations and did you feel safe in that area, generally? Thank you

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

I haven't stayed there, but friends have, and gave it a glowing report. It's in the heart of Mariscal, at Plaza Foch, and is generally safe as this is a very popular and heavily peopled area. One word of warning - Mariscal is "party central", especially for young gringos, and as such attracts its share of thieves, etc., so be vigilant, especially late at night. It's very easy to get to by cab, so if you're coming in late, just have a cab drop you at the front door. You'll be in the absolute middle of hundreds of restaurants, bars, etc.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

There are numerous reviews of this hotel posted since January of this year--have you taken a look at them?

As Tropmem mentions, there are a lot of thieves. Pickpockets and bag slashers are a real issue. Don't carry a backpack or a large purse, even tucked under your arm. Use the smallest one possible that you can sling across your chest, preferably under a jacket.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

Thank you both, we read the reviews but often the forums are most up-to-date. We sure do appreciate your time, looking forward to our time in Ecuador!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

its in a safe if noisy area inhabited mostly by gringo tourists. personally i was disappointed in my stay at nu house but the windows are sound proof so the noisy street outside at night isn't an issue. i've stayed at hotel patio andaluz a couple of times in the colonial part of the city then i stayed at nu house in gringolandia, next trip i was back to patio andaluz, i don't travel all the way to quito to be surrounded by nothing but tourists in gringolandia.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

Not cool, dude. We embrace our inner gringo. ;) Btw, until recently my partner was a DE for the Colorado forums here at TA, we do not consider calling people of different nationalities names appropriate behavior by a DE on a forum.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 18:02
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

gringolandia is the locals name for the area nu house is in, not mine. still, i don't see the point of traveling to quito and staying in an area full of non-ecuadorians. kind of like traveling to colorado and staying in an area with nothing but italian tourists but each to their own.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 18:19
Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

First, we are only spending a night there before 7 nights at Hacienda Primavera in the El Choco rainforest, our actual destination, if you had bothered to read our original post. We had a free night there. Secondly, WOW, your racism is kind of stunning!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

enjoy, ecuador is a stunning country and the people are lovely

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

As divenuts says, Mariscal is full of gringos - also ecuadoreans, columbians, asians, chileans, etc., etc. It's a central meeting point for tourists, and we've enjoyed many meals there with all of the above nationalities - friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends. It's perfect for one night - you'll only have to step outside your door to find a wonderful dinner, and the people-watching is great fun.

Re what azbucadora said, absolutely correct. When we first moved to Ecuador I bought a leather fanny pack, which I wear over my tummy, not my fanny, with the strap hidden beneath my shirt/jacket. Everything I need fits, and my hands are always free to shop, eat, etc. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy your visit - divenuts is correct, it's a beautiful country filled with equally beautiful people.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NU House Boutique Hotel

I higgly recommend NuHouse hotel, is a great trendy boutique style one.

The Area where it is inmerse is not called Gringoland o Gringolandia (this is just an unproper nickname). It is called Mariscal Sucre. The name comes up from our heroic Antonio Jose de Sucre Marshall (Mariscal in Spanish language) who comanded our Independence Army and defeated the Spaniards at Pichincha volcano's foothill in Quito, on May the 24th of 1822 and consequently settled the Ecuadorian Independence from Spain.

There is nothing to be afraid about staying at Mariscal. It is a Cosmopolitan Area where wyse travellers stay in terms to save lot of minutes of taxi rides and comutes from other city areas. Mariscal offers the best food menu of Quito, the most diverse, and the most favorable in terms of your budget.

Old Town Quito is lovely but unfortunately at night the only choice for food there are 2 Top restaurants which are dramatically expensive and one or two mediocre mid range options which are not worthy.

I live in Quito for over 30 years and always go to Mariscal at least 2 or 3 times a week at night and day to have lovely lunches and dinners. There are always art shows, concerts, festivals and there is a handicraft market on Saturdays, so your amussment is guaranteed... There is no need to badmouth Mariscal and the Nu House Hotel. It's buffet breakfast is great so are the rooms and staff.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez