We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shipping stuff to US

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
shipping stuff to US

A (small) group of us will be taking a motorcycle tour through Ecuador. Afterwards we want to ship our cycling gear (jackets, helmets, boots) back to the US as we are continuing our travels through Ecuador, Peru and other countries.

Is it possible to ship our stuff back from Quito, and if so, how difficult is it and how do we go about it? TIA for any information you can give me.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shipping stuff to US

They will have Fed Ex, or DHL shipping companies in Ecuador. What I would be concerned with, is whether or not they would charge you customs when it enters the States. I bet they will try to. You could consider standard mail, which might be cheaper, but I have no idea how long that would take.

Sometimes dealing with developing countries throws you curve balls you would expect at 'home'.

Would it be feasible to use older stuff and leave it behind, or sell it in Quito?

You can, also go to FedEx website and do an online shipping form to find out the costs of a (theoretical) package. Just know that it won't include the customs. I would hope there is some way you could explain it is your own stuff so exempt from customs, but you might have to arrange some offical documents for that before leaving US.

Personally, I would say it will be a pain in the neck.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shipping stuff to US

Thank you for your rapid reply. I agree that it will be a pain in the neck.

I had considered using old stuff and leaving it behind, but the others in the group will all be needing new gear.

I will check here with customs to see what the procedures are. If we have receipts for the stuff that was purchased in the US, it may be possible to avoid paying duty on them when bringing them back in.

You have given me some food for thought. I will pass this information on to the rest of the group. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
282 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shipping stuff to US

Hey Elle,

Can't the place where you are renting the bikes answer this?

An Ecuadorian tour company called Guanguiltagua advertises motorcycle trips on their web site, www.guanguiltagua.com. They also could probably help.

Jim

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shipping stuff to US

Jim, excellent idea. I will ask them. I'm sure we're not the first ones to have this challenge. Thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shipping stuff to US

When shipping used items back to the U.S., you mark the package/form with the notation something like "American goods returned" or "Used goods returned." It's a fairly common procedure. Be warned that using the private shipping companies can be very expensive; it might be cheaper for everyone to pool their gear in one or two boxes and send to one address for redistribution when you get home.

You might also meet some reliable persons who are returning to the U.S. and would be willing to take stuff back for you, if you pay for extra baggage.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 01:51
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shipping stuff to US

azbuceadora, thank you for the information on "used goods." I realize that the private shipping companies can be very expensive. I am also looking into the postal service. They will probably take longer to deliver, but may be less expensive.

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shipping stuff to US

If using Correos del Ecuador you're probably better off going to the main office located at Japón y Naciones Unidas. They have their main warehouses there and provide the widest array of services.

Being latino, I can't complain about Correos for receiving postcards and documents, they're pretty fast, especially from Europe. I've received books from the US with no issues. Most people will frown upon receiving valuable ítems using Correos, but as per sending, I haven't heard any terror stories.

Have fun!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shipping stuff to US

bureado, thank you for that information. Glad to hear that your mail service is good. That may be the way to go.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shipping stuff to US

Bureado is absolutely correct - use Correos de Ecuador, our local post office. We've used them for years, and the service is excellent - you can expect your packages to arrive in the US within 2 weeks. He's also correct about using the office on Naciones Unidas - very, very efficient. They're way cheaper than FedEx, UPS,etc.

If this is the way you go, take your unsealed packages to the Post Office - they have to inspect them before they can accept them. Carry sealing tape with you to seal the boxes after they look at them.

Afterwards, stroll down Naciones Unidas to view the public art display - currently it's sculpture, but may have changed by the time you get here. It's always entertaining.

Enjoy your trip.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shipping stuff to US

tropmem, thanks for your input on Correos de Ecuador and the heads-up on the sealing tape. I would never have thought of that. We will need boxes to ship the stuff (I'm thinking helmets, jackets, boots), is there a place where we can get them? Are there places where we can buy boxes, or can we find them behind stores for the taking like we do here in the US?

We will definitely take a look at the public arts display when we are there.