We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

We will arrive from Otavalo to Quito on a bus to the North terminal and need to continue to Machachi from the South terminal.

Would you have any recommendation how to get from the North terminal to the South terminal?

thank you

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Hello

The best way and faster is a taxi, just make sure is a legal one, but a taxi may cost from 25 to 30 and maybe for $15 more they will take you all the way to Machachi,!!!

Good luck

AC

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Taking a cab is by far the easiest option and will probably shave about 30mins off your transit time, not to mention waiting/transfer times for the option below but public transport can be so interesting...great for folks who enjoy scavenger hunts :) Seriously though, if you are on a budget or prefer public transportation, here's another route:

From Otavalo, you will arrive in Terminal Carcelen in northern Quito.

Exit the station, stay on the same side of the road, and catch a bus that says Rio Coca/Eco Via (best option as it takes you right to the next step) or any bus that says Eloy Alfaro and ask the bus assistant (money collector) or a nearby passenger to notify you when you're nearing Rio Coca, a street and also the name of the northernmost Eco Via station...the Eco Via will take you all the way to the southern terminal.

The bus ride should take around 20-30 minutes. If you are on an Eloy Alfaro bus, keep an eye out on the right side of the bus for the intersections with Avenida del Inca and Avenida de las Palmeras. That's a great time to start watching closely for Rio Coca (a major intersection with a traffic light). Get off at Rio Coca and walk down the street to your right to the Rio Coca EcoVia terminal (you'll see the regional bus station first with green buses, continue past that and see the red station for the Eco Via...enter here).

Take the Eco Via heading south and make sure the placard in the front of the bus says Quitumbe. It's no big deal if you get on an Eco Via that doesn't as you can transfer further down the line but it's sooooo nice to just get on the right one, find a seat and relax as the ride south takes about an hour.

The Quitumbe bound EcoVia ends at Quito's southernmost terminal and you can catch your bus to Machachi from there (do you already know about these buses?)

Yay for adventures in transit :) Hope that helps

Best

Nicole

Amazon Andes Sky

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Find a seat?? And relax??

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

hahaha, Relaxing is relative...relax because you're on your way and in a seated position :) Certainly not "put your feet up and have a hot toddy" It is public transportation after all and you'll likely have someone's armpit in your face. The good news is that you're likely to find a seat if you get on at the Rio Coca station and are on the Quitumbe-bound EcoVia. If you get on a different EcoVia and have to transfer, you'll likely have to stand for the second part of the journey.

Redmond
Level Contributor
111 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Here's the information for Quitumbe Ecovía:

www.trolebus.gob.ec/index.php…

Here's another option, starting from El Ejido:

If you want Trole instead of Ecovia:

And all 4 options here:

epmmop.gob.ec/epmmop/images/stories/img_stq/…

I'd invest in a legal taxi.

Enjoy!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

thank you for the replies.

we will have large luggage so I do not think I would like to haul it into the public transportation.

No I did not research the Machachi buses yet, any suggestions are very appreciated.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 02:14
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

With your large luggage and desire to avoid hauling it around, sounds like hiring a taxi/driver to take you the entire route would be the quickest and easiest! Machachi is only another 30-40mins south of Quitumbe (the southern terminal)

Edited: 08 January 2013, 20:08
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

There are actually (few) busses coming from Northern Ecuador that continue direct to the South. But I don't think thry stop at the Otavalo bus station. They come from Ibarra and you would have to catch them on the main road in Otavalo.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

Pierre- thanks for the info, I will inquiry about it while in Otavalo.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tranfer from North bus terminal to South terminal?

In the end it was much easier then I anticipated. We took a bus from Otavalo bus station to the north terminal in Quito.

In the north terminal There is a bus connecting the north terminal to the south terminal, the ride took less then hour, cost $1 per person, i just paid the same for the big luggage and had it sitting next to me. No need for a taxi at all

Edited: 02 November 2013, 22:37