We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
245 posts
593 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

We will be arriving in Quito for a cruise to the Galapagos. Could anyone help me with this question - if I have altitude sickness in Cusco, will I have a problem in Quito? Anyone been to both and had an issue?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

It is difficult to say. It affects everyone differently, and even a person can react differently one trip to another. Quito is almost 2000 ft lower than Cusco and many still discuss being breathless in Quito. If you are coming from GI (sea level) then you are going to want to take it easy a day or two. Many recommend bringing ample meds for headaches. It might be wise to have some prescription meds for altitude sickness with you if you had problems in Cusco. Coca tea is available in Quito as it was in Cusco. I would recommend that you don't consider going to the hilltop panorama for several days until you are acclimatized or know how you react. It will be worse up there.

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

I dont think Quito will bother you, I was there did Galapagos and I was not affected however One person was affected....I would advise go to the health food store and buy cellfood you put a few drops in drinking water and it helps...Has a slight Lemon taste.....I am going to Cusco in June and I will definitely take ths with me GOOD LUCK....Have fun in Galapagos....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
245 posts
593 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

We finished our trip to Quito and Galapagos in December. I took Diamox the first day we arrived in Quito before having any symptoms. Then, on our return from Galapagos, I did not take Diamox in Quito and felt fine. Was a little out of breath but did not have the usual high altitude symptoms (massive headache, vomiting). I think it is dependent on the person and how much altitude their threshold is. When I'm in Peru in Arequipa and Cusco, it is pretty bad for me.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

Interesting that Arequipa is a problem as it is even lower than Quito by about 1700 feet. The difficulty in pridicting, is that you can't. Not only is it different from person to person, but even for the same person trip to trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
245 posts
593 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

I agree. When travelling you always have to be prepared.

6. Re: Altitude - Cusco vs Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:19