We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papallacta

Albuquerque, NM USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Papallacta

What is the best way to travel from Quito to Papallacta?

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papallacta

You can bus it there pretty easily by bus. You can get a green bus to Cumbaya from Rio Coca station (just off of Eloy Alfaro), get off at the supermaxi stop in Cumbaya (there is a pimax gas station and a mall across the street, and wait for a bus that goes to either Tena or Baeza, they will drive through Papallacta and drop you off. It will drop you off on the highway and the town is just up the hill. Its like a steep 3 mile walk to the hot springs but there are truck taxis waiting at the bus stop and costs $1/person to the hot springs. The bus to Papallacta is pretty cheap, like $2.50, and the bus to Cumbaya from Rio Coca is $0.25. You can also catch this bus going east toward cumbaya at the SE intersection of Eloy Alfaro and Granados. The buses are very frequent.

Alternatively you can get a bus going to Tena either from Quitumbe bus station (but its very far south).

Edited: 27 April 2013, 19:15
Mentioned in this post
Cumbaya
Cumbaya
Quito, Ecuador
Albuquerque, NM USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Papallacta

Perfect directions. Thank you.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papallacta

Just to clarify, the bus stop is at the Primax gas station/Kia Motors. I just drove by yesterday and forgot there was a car dealership there.

And just my personal choice on hot springs, you can go into the main hot springs and they have various pools but you will never be alone. If you are going to spend the night there, be prepared to spend $150+. There are other lodging options with their own pools nearby. I've stayed at Hotel Antisana right next to the hot springs. Paid $30/night for 2 people in a private room and they have 2 pools in the back and you usually get them by yourself. And the owner is a super nice lady who also cooks for you. The trout dinner for like $5 is pretty good. You can also just pay $5 to use their pools, the main ones cost $7.50. I prefer to just stay there and you get a hotel room, breakfast and use of hot spring twice (the day you arrive and the next morning) so I think its a great deal. My gf and I would have spent $30 on entrance alone at the main hot springs by going at night and the following morning. The hotel is usually pretty empty and it shouldn't be, its a great deal, they have their own hot springs (2 of them) and the owner is very hospitable (which is actually tough to get here in Ecuador sometimes). We've been to the main hot spring but we won't be going back.

There is also another public hot spring right before you get to Hotel Antisana, and costs only $2, never been though. Its called Piscinas termales Jamanco.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 01:24
Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papallacta

What is your goal for going there? The Termas de Papallacta are beautifully landscaped, cool architecture, just a lovely place. It is pricey for Ecuador but not in comparison with US prices. We looked at the other springs right before you get to Termas (not sure if that is the same one mentioned above) and it looked more like an ordinary hotel, not the beautiful setting of Termas. If you stay at Termas, you don't have to eat there, though the food was good, and the other places are a quick walk from Termas. Either place could access the cool nature reserve, which I highly recommend.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Albuquerque, NM USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papallacta

Thank you...all of this information is very helpful.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
227 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papallacta

gracias por la información. I will be in old town near the Santo Domingo Trole stop. Would you recommend heading south to the Quitumbe station in that case ? I will have 1 rolling suitcase and a knapsack.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papallacta

tomas...

yeah that would probably be the best way. once at quitumbe, get on a bus heading for tena, baeza or lago agrio, they all drive through papallacta. There are no buses that go just to papallacta.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
227 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papallacta

El_Cap .. muchas gracias for the information, especially the initial post in April. We just got back from Quito and TP. Transportation couldn't have been easier ... decided to go via Rio Coca estacion instead. Everything went smoothly and we had a great time.

Concord, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Papallacta

hi do you have a link or contact info for the hostal anitsana? i cant seem to find it in my searches. thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papallacta

Joyce, check your spelling: ANTIsana.