We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Quito Airport taxis

London
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
New Quito Airport taxis

There have been a lot of questions re taxis from the new airport and i certainly found it confusing so I thought it may be helpful to some to report on our recent experience. We arrived on Sunday night at 23.30 ffrom Madrid. Passing through immigration was quick and easy and entering the arrivals hall and passing through the massed ranks of taxi drivers waiting for there passenger we found the taxi desk just to left where we came out. No queues at the desk and within 3 mins we had told them our destination and were on our way to the rank just outside with a pink slip with our destination written on to hand to the driver ( you pay the driver on arrival)

All the prices for the various destinations are clearly set out for the various destinations in Quito. Ranging from $25 to our destination of Mariscal up to $30 for other parts.

The process was quick, easy and pretty straightforward. The journey into Mariscal took around 45 mins ( but that was with NO traffic whatsoever) .

Unless you speak Spanish it would help to have your full destination details including cross streets written down.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

Thanks. Very useful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

Very handy, thanks for posting. Right now, our flight is scheduled to arrive at 5:30 PM on a weekday - I suspect that traffic will be a whole lot worse for us :)

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

There is a cheap bilingual driver service run by a free lance driver: gonzalotransport@gmail.com

He charges more than the regular taxis but offers bilingual service.

It might be very helpful to contact him.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

I recently used this new airport three times (April 24, May 7 & 10, 2013) with following experience:

There is a taxi kiosk just beside the Information desk on ground (arrival) floor. A large board lists the destinations with fare posted on the wall. Once you tell them your hotel, they will find the right fare for you. Depends on where you are going, fare is about $25-$35. My hotel was at the north edge of the Mariscal Area (New Town) and cost me $26. I paid to the desk and the lady wrote a ticket with triple copies. She kept the original and passed two copies to me. The pink copy is for myself. The yellow copy is for the taxi driver. However, on my second time arrival from Galapagos, the lady only gave me the pink copy and asked me to give the cash ($26) to taxi driver directly. I think they just want to eliminate the process of exchanging the yellow copy vs money between driver and the kiosk.

The 'Information' at Mariscal has fliers for a recently available private airport shuttle 'Quito Shuttle'. They will pick you up from hotels at Mariscal Area. Or you can go to their designated pick up spots. The fare is $15 one way. The 'Information' locates on the street Reina Victoria and is just one block north the Plaza Foch. Staffs speak English and were very friendly. However, the 'i' sign is very small and you need to pay attention. Otherwise you can easily miss it.

From airport you need to pass two towns (Tumbaco and Cumbaya) before arriving Quito. I arrived at 11:00PM on my first time and there was no traffic at midnight. I reached Quito New Town in less than 40 minutes. My second time and the third time (from airport to Quito and then back to airport) was around 5:00PM and 11:00AM. In both two cases, experienced traffic jam particularly bad at Tumbaca area. Take one full hour for the trip. It is better to count on 1.5 hour to be on the safe side.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Foch
Plaza Foch
762 Reviews
Quito, Ecuador
Cumbaya
Cumbaya
Quito, Ecuador
Quito
Quito
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

Great info; thanks for posting.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

Just to add, taxi drivers don't always know all the smaller hotels so you need to know the major cross streets (not just the address) and I would also carry the hotel's phone number to call (have the driver call) if needed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

Just what I've been looking for. Great information!

Munich, Germany
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

But how can I get a Taxi from Historical centre early in the morning at 5 am to the airport. The Hotel charge 12 Dollar more for this time. The following link shows a chart with all the Taxi fares quito.com.ec/en/…new-quito-airport-taxi-fares

Edited: 14 January 2014, 23:16
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

When I lived in Quito, there were many times I needed a cab either very late in the evening, or very early in the morning, so I would just call the neighborhood taxi cooperative ahead of time. If you can get the number of a nearby taxi co-op, you can make arrangements for them to pick you up at the hotel. Ask a driver you like if they have a card with the co-op number on it. This will most likely require someone who can speak enough Spanish to do this. Co-ops tend to be somewhat territorial, so a driver from another part of town may not want, or be able to, pick you up in el centro.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Quito Airport taxis

The hotels sometimes have contracts with drivers, it is something like a "private taxi". This in most cases will cost more money than hiring the taxi directly from the street. However for security reasons is always better to book any taxi trough the hotel or trough a tour operator because of security reassons. Over a week ago a Japanese newly wed tourist was kidnapped and murdered by a cab driver in Guayaquil city.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador