We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

Hi All,

I would very much appreciate your advice

I'm struggling with WHEN to stay in Quito. I arrive in Ecuador on December 23rd, very early in a.m. for a 10 day trip.

I'm considering either i) staying in Quito for 3 nights during the holiday or ii) immediately going to the rain OR cloud forests.......or something like that.

My question depends on whether Quito shuts down for Christmas. Does everyone stay in doors with their grandma and all the bars/restaurants/music venues close....OR does everyone go out and celebrate (although not party) Christmas because most people have work off? The idea of experiencing a unique Christmas in a predominate Roman Catholic city is appealing...but I don't want to be stuck in my hotel after the Christmas parade because all the more unique sites (either touristy or off-the-beaten-path) are closed. I would also like to find a soccer game / bullfight / live music....etc.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question...

Also, does anyone know if any tours/attractions are open during the holidays.

High level advice would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

I would also appreciate input to this question as I am considering going to Quito for the holiday's as well. However, I'm traveling as a single woman, so I am still having reservations about being on my own there. It would be nice to see the country during the Christmas time. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

I can't speak from personal experience for christmas since I was out of town last year but it seems like every major holiday, the Quitenos head to the beach and the city is pretty quiet and many businesses are closed.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

NZ.. I've known lots of single women who went to Ecuador. None were ever robbed, raped, murdered or made to wear silly hats. Although Crazy Mary from London beat up a couple of local guys in a bar fight.

Christmas in Latin America. Not the department store Christmas parades. You might well see a procession from a local church. Contrary to what our government says, Christmas is a Christian holiday. Ecuador treats it as such. Same as much of the region. Christmas Eve, families gather at home. At some point most go to church. Often again Christmas Day. Totally would shock Pres. LJ. Never happened to be in country at Christmas. But done it in Peru and Mexico. Mexico City midnight mass in the Cathedral. Quito...go to San Francisco church in the old city. No matter what your view, you can't really understand the people until you witness their relationship with God. Am I allowed to use that word on TA? Christmas Eve day the markets will be busy with shoppers. Christmas Day... you won't starve. I'd plan on eating early. Wouldn't plan on on long distance buses. Some I guess but reduced schedules. Never take a bus New Years Day...drivers with hang overs. Tours... I'd hope not but folks gotta make a buck. Museums...not many and most likely closed. Galapogos is always jumping since it is the country's cash cow. Mitad del Mundo... my guess would be closed. This is based on general regional experience. So you chill. Good time to walk around as it won't be crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Peru
Peru
South America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Quito
Quito
Mitad del Mundo
Mitad del Mundo
2,893 Reviews
San Antonio de Pichincha, Ecuador
Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

I appreciate the post - make a certain amount of common sense (but hey, I'm american, so it's all malls and movies for me)

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

Ok - full download.

Christmas on Quito is kinda dead….but let me clarify.

People are out and about. Mass is happening. There are a some small parades; small little mom/pop food stores are open. But ALL the bars / restaurants that you'd want to go to for a fancy dinner are closed. I called almost every place listed in Lonely Planet and by my Air BNB host. Closed. Same goes for New Years evening.

The hotels are the best places for food on the 23,24,25th of December. (food still isn't that great). Go to the JW Marriott for a great breakfast (regardless of the day)….but it was a welcome food option on Christmas Day.

We couldn't find any nightlife in the Mariscal Sucre area either (one or two uber cheesy tourist bars were open till 10a.m. on 24th).

This is all in my humble opinion, but I guarantee I tried harder than most of these dates to contract some nightlife.

T

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,895 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

Thanks for posting an update. When I lived in Quito I was always gone on vacation so couldn't answer! But it does sound like Chrstmas in all the other Latin American countries I've been in. I think I'll put this in the TQs for future reference.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

I was on vacation for christmas but back in quito for NYE. I went to mariscal foch around 5pm for dinner with some friends. It seemed as though most restaurants were open. They were setting up for a concert in the plaza but we left at around 7pm. We bought fireworks and effigies and went back to our neighborhood. There seemed to be fireworks going off (self lit) all around the neighborhood and many house parties. At midnight, many people were on the streets (residential) to burn the effigies, right on the side of the street. Last NYE, I was in mariscal foch and it was pretty quiet.

Supposedly, people (1000´s) gather on Amazonas but we couldn´t find it. I heard its further south as there was nothing on amazonas in mariscal or in carolina park, so I´m not sure what part of amazonas people gather on, or if they did this year.

8. Re: Quito During Christmas (great idea or "sleepy" idea)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:20