We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

Raleigh, North...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

There are several shuttle service websites providing shared rides from the new airport to Quito.

Has anyone used them? Please comment on your experience. It seems their rates are higher than the posts are indicating for a taxi. Is a taxi my best bet? I am travelling solo female and staying at the Mercure Alameda Hotel.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

Taxis are reliable and easy to get. There is no guessing as to the fare; you pay in advance. If you try one of the shuttles, please report back with your findings to help future travelers.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

For the taxi service we actually did not pay in advance (went to the taxi desk next to the tourist desk, he wrote a ticket and walked us to the taxi queue.)

Taxis are regulated in Ecuador, look for one with a number on the side, two cameras, and a red alarm button near the back seat. If you don't see all those things, look for another.

One time I looked inside the cab to check and the driver sped off,so I guess he was a rogue?

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

We had to go from Foch Plaza area to the airport and back twice. The taxi fare was always $25-30. Once we used the shuttle service--bad idea. It takes you to the old airport, from where you must take a taxi. Not really cheaper, and took more time.

Raleigh, North...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

Good point about whether the shuttle actually leaves from the NEW airport. Thanks for the replies and reassurance about taxis.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

In august I took the shuttle from the old airport to the new one. Very convenient, comfortable, and free wifi. Cost $8 one way plus a $2 taxi ride to the old airport.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

Liz, the shuttle does leave from the new airport to the old one. For just $8 it's a good deal. From there, a taxi won't be very much to your hotel. I don't know how long the shuttle will be doing this, as the old airport property will be transformed into a municipal park.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

For one person it's not a terrible deal. With more than one, the $8 is multiplied, and then it costs as much as taxi. In our case, it took much longer than a taxi as well. If you got a taxi from near Foch Plaza to the old airport for $2.00 you did well!

8. Re: Shuttle service from new airport to Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:18