We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quito to Galapagos

Memphis, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Quito to Galapagos

We plan to fly from the U.S. to Quito and stay a few days in Quito. We would like to visit the Galapagos. We have limited time on this trip and would like to know which Islands are a must and how to see them in a short trip.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quito to Galapagos

When are you planning to go...this may be a little late to help you, but check this website for which islands to visit. All must be done with a guide...not cheap! http://thingstodoinpuertoayora.blogspot.ca/

Tours need to be booked months in advance. There are things to do on your own..check the excellent post Galapagos 2013, Galapagos on the Cheap....but to see the main islands, you do need a guide.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
318 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quito to Galapagos

This is tough question to answer which islands are a ¨must¨. its really a matter of personal preference and if you´re keen on seeing certain animals. Just how limited is your time?

Tours necessarily do not need to be booked in advance, it depends on time of year and the boat. Yes if you want a particular boat then probably but if you´re open to boat and flexible with your departure date (which you probably aren´t since you mentioned being short on time), you can book last minute cruises with openings for a big discount, often 50% but these tend to be 1 or 2 spots.

People with more time and openness in what they want to see could potentially save a lot of $ by just flying to the galapagos and looking for last minute cruises at Puerto Ayoro. I saw plenty when I was there for a few days. Online sites always show last minute discounted trips as well.

I would disagree with the post above that you need a guide. I did galapagos on my own without a guide and saw Santa Cruz, Isabela and San Cristobal on my own, doing a few day trips like scuba diving/snorkeling with guides but most of the things I did on my own.

3. Re: Quito to Galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:18