We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
429 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

I'm re-thinking my proposed 4 'spare days' in Quito (ie after jungle & before Galapagos). I think Papallacta is not going to work for me.

I'm now thinking of heading down to Banos (easy buses & accommodations etc) & then coming back with a stop off at Latacunga.

My question is:

Where should I plan to stay in Quito? My plane should get me from Coca to the airport in Quito at approx. 6 pm. Should I stay somewhere near the airport (Tababela or somewhere similar) or should I stay in the centre of Quito? (I thought that staying near the Quitumbe bus station would be a good idea, ready for my bus trip but I've just read several reports that it isn't a very good area. I'd need to go out for supper & I'm a solo female traveller so perhaps not!)

My LP guide book doesn't show where the new airport is so I'm struggling to see where I should stay for the best.

If I stay somewhere in central Quito, which area wouldn't be too far from Quitumbe (I'd like to get a fairly early bus & don't want to waste time being caught up in rush hour traffic).

Any help would be appreciated.

Christine Bennett

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Banos
Banos
Tungurahua Province, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,735 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

To deal with the new airport location, it is in Tababela. In google maps, if you type in Quito Airport, it shows up. You can then also use the TA Hotel section for Quito and use the 'map' version for hotel, hostel, or BnB location (though some are misleading as they might be the office for a lodge completely out of the city - so compare it to your Lonely Planet map) and disregard the fact that the Mariscal airport is still indicated in its old location. Google maps also indicates bus stops.

When you arrive from Coca, it will already be dark. I would suggest a small place that might have an attached restaurant, or expect to taxi everywhere. La Mariscal and Old Town are the two most logical locations.

Do heed the safety needs however, ensure you have a room, and reconfirm. Don't let the taxi leave until you are in the lodging. For me, as arriving after dark, I might be less inclined to use a hostel, but that is me. Casa Vieja Cuba has a good reputation but with the 12% taxes is over $60 for a single...but does have a restaurant on site and is two blocks from the bus line.

The other place I look is hotels.com You can control the budget, it shows places on a map...but then I book directly with the lodging. Sometimes the hotels.com website says it is unavailable for your night, but dealing with the lodging gets you a room.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
429 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

Thank you so much for that information. It has helped a great deal. The hotel Casa Vieja Cuba looks perfect. Cost is £34 (UK) + the 12% VAT for a single. That's fine for me. As you say, it has got a restaurant so I won't need to venture out. The wifi is really important for me as I will have had 5 days in the jungle (& I need to deal with business 'stuff' while I'm away. I have a horrible feeling that I'll be working on my laptop until the early hours!).

The google map advice is good. I just never think to use google maps. I must get into it more as they are very useful.

Thanks again - I feel that my plans are starting to 'come together' - thank goodness (I'm running threads on the Columbia forums at the same time so I'm flitting from one part of my trip to another).

Christine Bennett

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,735 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

You are welcome. Considering I had many same thought processes and similarities (including age), the least we can do is share it.

I don't know much about Columbia, but if you are planning to enter by bus, do please read the Travel advisories put out by most countries on Northern Ecuador for entering into Columbia.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

another option...

You don't have to take the bus from Quitumbe, its in the far south end of Quito and a pain to get to. You can take the bus from the Transportes Banos own bus station in Mariscal (Juan Leon Mera and Santa Maria, a couple blocks from plaza foch). The times are more limited though leaving at 0500, 2015 and 2200. The bus stops at Quitumbe on the way, it just saves you the trouble of going down there and you can stay in Mariscal if you wanted.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Banos
Banos
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
429 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

Thank you so much for that. It is extremely useful information. It means that 3 of my separate stays in Quito (7th & 8th of Jan, then 13th Jan then 26th Jan) can all be booked into the same place. I'm looking at a B & B homestay with an Ecuadorian family (through AirNB website). Location is somewhere around the La Carolina area (I think). Address is Diego De Almagro, Quito Canton, Pichincha. It looks to be a bit further north than the Mariscal I think? The (tiny) maps in my LP guide book aren't very helpful for me to try to get my bearings. Also my map is probably showing the location of the old airport!

(If not then I have a 2nd choice of another homestay in the Mariscal - address is Reina Victoria, Quito, Pinincha).

If I am pretty close to the Transportes Banos own bus station in Mariscal then I'd be able to make the 5 am bus to Banos. This would be great as it would give me more time to enjoy Banos.

How long will a taxi take from the Mariscal to the new airport? (& also from La Carolina to the new airport?) (time of day would be early evening ie 6-7 pm).

Also, I have got another trip needed to the airport on 19th Jan which is very early (ie check in at 5.15 am). I was thinking of staying somewhere closer to the airport for this one. However, I assume that traffic will be much clearer at this time so what is the quickest that I could get there from the Mariscal or La Carolina (I could do with getting at least a few hours' of sleep!).

Thank you for your really helpful advice.

I am about to go onto Google maps to see if I can get some better maps of Quito which I can print off onto a sheet of A4.

Christine Bennett

Mentioned in this post
Pichincha
Pichincha
56 Reviews
Ecuador
Quito
Quito
Banos
Banos
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

As far as your homestays, Diego de almagro runs North and south so it would depend on the cross street as to how close you are to Mariscal and the transportes Banos station. Check on google maps, Diego de almagro runs into Santa Maria where the station is. And Reina Victoria runs North - south as well so you would need to know the cross street.

As far as your taxi question, taking a taxi to the airport at 6-7pm, you will hit lots of traffic, my guess is 2 hours. Lots of people live in cumbaya/tumbaco in the direction of the airport. At 515am, it should take 50 minutes from Carolina, and about the same from Mariscal.

Mentioned in this post
Banos
Banos
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
429 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

Thanks for your reply.

I've now booked my homestay. It is the Deigo De Almagro one. I now have the address & it is close to the Transportes Banos bus station which is brilliant.

Thanks for the taxi timings. My hosts will be collecting me from the airport for the first 7 pm pick up. 50 mins for the 5.15 am check in is better than I'd hoped.

Thanks again. You have given me some really useful advice which has enabled me to locate myself in an ideal location in Quito. I'm going to be staying at the same homestay for all 6 nights (various dates) that I am in Quito.

Christine Bennett

Mentioned in this post
Banos
Banos
Quito
Quito
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

no problem, have a nice trip

9. Re: Arrive by plane & then bus to Banos next am - where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:17