We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adoptions / Orphanages

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Adoptions / Orphanages

Do any of you have experience with adoptions from Ecuador? Any knowledge of or experience in the orphanages?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adoptions / Orphanages

I have a friend who is in the process of adopting. They don{t make it easy here. You must live here three years also. Right now my friend is officially fostering the child while they live here and complete three years residence, then at the end of the three years, they will be able to complete the adoption. My friends had lived here a year already before they took the child in as a foster child, and that time counts - it's about your residency, not how long you've fostered the child. She worked with a very good orphanage here in Quito that is run by an American woman that grew up here. I can check the name, but if you're not interested in living here, it's not the country for adopting..... let me know.

Maine
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adoptions / Orphanages

My wife and I adopted a child in Ecuador a little over 10 years ago. At that time we had to stay in the country for about 6 weeks. We worked with a very well respected agency and though the entire process was long and difficult, our experience in Ecuador was relatively smoothe and very positive. But since then the agency that we worked with has stopped working with the government of Ecuador and no longer has a program in that country. I had no idea that the residency requirements had changed as drastically as American in Quito describes. I wonder if these are governmental restrictions or restrictions of a particular agency or orphanage?

Next month we are returning with our now 13 year old son to visit his home country and we hope to visit the orphanage where he lived in Cuenca, but I have been unable to find out if it is even still there.

In any case, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you conduct your adoption through a well established agency with a good reputation. Check references, talk to other adoptive parents, do a lot of research. In my opinion, private adoptions are too risky and unfortunately, too often involve unethical people who are more interested in the money than the welfare of the child.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adoptions / Orphanages

just a note - these are government requirements for residency, not those of an orphanage. It's tough.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adoptions / Orphanages

just a note - these are government requirements for residency, not those of an orphanage. It's tough.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that foreigners are also only able to adopt special needs children at this point - I don't think that's a law, but it's a reality - adoptions of non-special needs children are denied.