We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and telephones

Scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and telephones

We are flying into Quito 7th January and making our way towards Guayaquil and Galapagos, via Riobamba and Cuenca, we will fly out 24th January to Panama for 6 days. I understand the weather in Panama will be quite hot, and weather in Quito can be very cold.............do we need a lot of cold weather gear for our trip? and what will weather on the coast be like in January as I know it changes once over the Andes. Any help would be appreciated, also any advice on whether a simcard is freely available in Quito and the cost of it. We have an American phone but sure it will not work there. Many thanks for any help!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and telephones

Both topics are discussed at some length, so using the Search option in the Ecuador forum will gain you some results.

Your phone has to be 'unlocked' but sim cards are readily available and inexpensive.

Layer for weather. Unless you are climbing the mountains, it is not 'very cold'. A quick look at The Weather Network indicates Aberdeen is 9 and Quito is 17 today. It can cool down at night, and the houses don't tend to have central heat.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and telephones

Hi, Hunda,

I think you will find Quito and the Andes somewhat more temperate than Scotland. The temperatures tend to be about the same year-round, roughly 8C at night to 17-18 during the day (give or take a few degrees). The coast will be quite hot in January. Since it sounds like most of your trip will be in very warm-hot weather, plan mostly for that, with some layers (fleece, long sleeves) for the highlands.

Scotland
Level Contributor
70 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and telephones

Ok Thanks for the information, we are not coming from Scotland as living in Texas right now, but it feels almost as cold some days!!! but I figured it would not be desperately cold, it has been 5/6C here recently so will be nicely milder!!

4. Re: Weather and telephones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18