We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playing tourist on election day?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
playing tourist on election day?

Elections are on Sunday. A friend who was in Quito last elections said they were recommended to stay off the streets unless voting.

I thought to do the HOHO bus that day.

Will things be open?

Should I heed the advice and stay in? I will be in an apartment about five blocks for Plaza Grande.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playing tourist on election day?

I don't know why someone would tell you to stay off the streets. I think there will be things open, not all. The biggest concern for residents is that there are no alcohol sales for the entire weekend, and that includes restaurants unless they know you (and they serve it in a coffee cup). When I lived there, my Sundays were usually spent in Parque Metropolitano.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playing tourist on election day?

Thanks. he was just relaying what he had been told (by his lodgings) last elections.

Normal precautions and no large groups seems to be the order of the day, then.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,595 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playing tourist on election day?

Hmm, seems the hombre recollected wrong. it was Census Day.

BTW, HOHO bus is not running tomorrow.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: playing tourist on election day?

Ohhhhh, yes, I remember Census Day! We really did have to stay home that day.

5. Re: playing tourist on election day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:17