We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
food

My friend is going crazy that this being a first trip for us to go on and also this being his home country hes worried that I wonylt be able to handle the food out there -_- or saying no to a certain type of food or even being offered something I might not prefer is unacceptable because we're in "ecuador" im posting this hoping to get a few opinions

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food

Ecuadorian food is fresh and healthy, with wonderful vegetables, grains, and fruits, though if you're looking for fat- and sugar- laden American food you can get that, too. There is a sophisticated food scene of cuisines from other countries as well. Unless you're staying with a host family, no one is going to "offer" you something you might not prefer as you'll be ordering off a menu.

There's no point in traveling if you're going to be afraid of the food. And stop listening to your "friend."

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food

Ditto AZ

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food

And really, most of the food is not terribly "exotic"- although yes, some of it is. But much of what we encountered was not entirely unfamiliar to us- just usually better than what you find here in the states.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food

5Wados I don't think I would quite go that far and say it is better than the states…:) For me the best food there was the soups…I think their chicken was good and and on th coast the best cerviche (sp) I have ever had ….but for the most part I found their meats a bit tough and dry…but like everywhere in the world some places were better than others…and only one food did I encounter that was foreign to me….Guy…(sp)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food

The fish was fresher (ok- Colorado is not noted for it's fresh fish). What I meant was that the Ecuadoran food which has been copied here in the states is usually not as good as the real thing. Wan't intending to make quite the global statement that it seemed.

Agree that meats were tough and the soups wonderful. And I think you are referring to cuy (coo-e) - and also agree, that was pretty foreign for sure. We did not try it. I chickened out. But there are strange foods everyplace I guess.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food

İf you go to a cheap restaurant and order the fıxed price lunch/dinner at 2 or 3 $, the food will be pretty ordinary.

7. Re: food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:20