We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reality of Taxis in Quito

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reality of Taxis in Quito

I will be a woman traveling alone in Quito, with very limited spanish. The travel books strongly suggest that the taxis are dangerous if not an overt rip-off (the meter is broken, insisting on more money before you exit, etc.). Is this actually true? Thank you!

gainesville, florida
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

I have been here for three months and have not had any real taxi prooblems. About 95% of the taxis I've taken have had working meters. The meters do get shut off at night, so you will have to negotiate a fare upfront. They will try to charge you a gringo fare, usually a dollar or two higher than it should be. The best thing you can do is pay attention to how much a ride is during the day on the meter. The night time fare will be $.50-$1.00 higher. Any more is too much...and "no" is the same in English and Spanish. Be polite but firm. I have many female friends who also travel alone by taxi, and I have not heard of any problems with them being dangerous. Just stick to riding in cabs marked with numbers. I can't vouch for the "independent" taxis. Good luck!

gainesville, florida
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

I have, however, had spelling problems. hee hee

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

Exactly the information I was needing. Thank you!

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

Agree with previous poster, I have taken many taxis as a woman alone, and have not heard of other women alone having problems in the two years I've been here either. The only taxis that would consistently try to not use the meter were those stationed outside the Hilton when I lived there. Picking one up on the street it was never a problem, but if for some reason you don't see the meter or it's not turnedon, just say "taximetro!"

The one exception is that I've received security reports warning against the use of the taxis at the airport - for a while they were taking passengers and calling ahead to a friend who would come rob them. Arrange with your hotel for them to pick you up, especially if you are arriving at night, or if this is not possible, the airport also offers a private transportation service, I believe the desk is outside of the baggage hall, before you exit the airport, on the right hand side. When I used that service, it was only a dollar more than the taxi from the airport.

Oh, and at the bus station (and the airport), taxis will not usually use the meter, you have to negotiate those.

NY
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

I travel to Quito a lot and use taxis all the time. I have not had a time in the last four years or so where a taxi did not have a meter. If you are not sure, ask Taximetro? There is also a company (independent) called taxi amigo. press number 2 seven times and you will get an answer. They are extremely reliable and safe. they cost a few pennies more. I often go to the center of Quito and hail a taxi from there when I need one. Never any problem. Relax, have fun, but as a woman, I would not venture alone at night in the center of Quito or in the Mariscal area. During the day, no problem.

houston
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

I just returned vrom Quito and had no problems with the taxis. Very cheap. I always have he hotel pick me up, much easier.

7. Re: Reality of Taxis in Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 07:21