We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

Will be going to Quito in 2 weeks, have one full day in Quito on a Friday then 1/2 day before flying to Cuenca. Is it possible to do a day trip Ave of Volcanos or should I explore Old Town.

Also has anyone taken Spanish lessons at Simon Bolivar school?

Thanks

GG

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

I would definitely focus on Old Town to give yourself time to recover from travel and adjust to the altitude a bit. There are tons of options to keep you occupied in the city and if you feel up to it (depending on how you're adjusting to the altitude), you might consider riding up the Teleferiqo cable car on your second day to have lovely views of the city stretched out below you, and, if the day is clear, a view of several surrounding volcanic peaks. You'll technically be experiencing the Avenue of Volcanoes in Cuenca anyway, especially if you take a trip out to Cajas National Park. Depending on how long you'll be in Cuenca, you may even consider a ride on the Devil's Nose train from Alausi (though this is a long day trip) to experience stunning landscapes and hopefully see Chimborazo volcano, the closest point on Earth to the sun!

Yes, though, it is certainly possible to do a day trip with your full day in Quito but all depends on your passions and interests. Is there an area just outside of Quito you are particularly interested in visiting?

Best,

Nicole

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

Thanks Nicole

I enjoy museums ,markets, and eating!! I will be spending 8 days in Cuenca so have time to explore the area and maybe a few day trips from there. Quito is a stopover on my way to Cuenca so Old Town sounds perfect for the day.

Looking forward to seeing Ecuador. How long have you lived there?

GG

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

I've been here 6 months each year for the past 4 years and LOVE it. I still get time with my family in FL and can appease my restless spirit by moving back and forth each year :) Just perfect.

I returned yesterday from Cuenca, actually, and had a lovely time. The day trips from the city are the highlights for me. Make sure to enjoy a meal or sip on a coffee for a bit at the lookout of Turi (a quick cab ride from town), enjoy the artisan towns of Gualaceo and Chordeleg (my favorite!), the Ingapirca ruins, Cajas National Park, and, for a day of relaxation, the spa at Piedra de Agua in the nearby town of Banos (best on a sunny day for warmth!). If you would like the name of a wonderful guide/driver in the area, let me know and I'll send you a private message.

Have an absolute blast!

Best,

Nicole

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

Hi Nicole

Yes, I would love the name of a driver in Cuenca , thanks again for all your suggestions

Gail ann

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

Gail Ann, private message sent!

6. Re: One day in Quito then on to Cuenca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16