We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quito safety

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Quito safety

Quito has a serious reputation. Generally I tend not to heed all of what I hear about a place before I go and make my own judgements, but... There's a lot on Quito. I'll be staying in the Hilton in the Mariscal and I'm still nervous. A lot of the posts on danger are a couple years old however and I'm wondering what people who have been more recently have to say about the state of the city.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quito safety

I've always thought NYC has a "serious reputation." An old friend of mine was reading all the dire warnings a couple months back and really dreading going there to study Spanish (airfare and tuition already paid for). She came back and was wondering what all the fuss was about. She loved Quito and questioned why I ever left!

Take a look at the safety tips under the Top Questions on the Ecuador forum. Go and have a good time.

At my desk
Level Contributor
234 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quito safety

Mariscal is swarming with police and security, I assume to keep everyone safe. When I was there I wondered how anyone could commit even the smallest of crime given the police presence.

It's a great city, enjoy!

Sydney
Level Contributor
85 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quito safety

Was in Quito in May and in Mariscal - no issues, police and security very visible. Like any city just take care. Lovely city with plenty of things to do. NYC has more problems than Quito

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quito safety

Thank you everybody! Your responses make me feel much better! I suppose you are right about NYC - if you know the right places to go and take the appropriate precautions you'll be fine. That being said I was pickpocketed in Soho last month so it definitely isn't without its share of problems. Thanks everybody so much. Excited to see Quito :)

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quito safety

My wife and I are in Quito today and walked from our hotel past the Hilton where you are staying all the way to thr Old Town and back without any fear for our safety, except maybe a few times trying to cross the streets : )

There is a lot of police presence throughout the city. Use a cab at night.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quito safety

I was nervous too about safety but was pleasantly surprised ! I think they have made big efforts over last few years as they try to develop a tourist industry so that now its no different to any other big city in the world.

Just be sensible, be aware of surroundings and don't go flashing a Rolex watch and I'm sure you will be fine

7. Re: Quito safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2015, 08:19