We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

Hi,

We are planning a trip next September to the Galapagos Islands and will be spending a few days on the mainland before departing. We are currently considering either the San Jorge Eco-Lodge in Quito or the Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge in Chiritza.

Does anyone have any pros or cons for either of these places? Any input is appreciated!

thanks,

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

I don't know the Paradise Lodge. I've gone to eat at the San Jorge lodge for lunch on the weekend - it was really quiet (that is rather dead), the advertised pool was covered and I've heard stories that guests have been told they couldn't use it. The grounds were nice and the staff pleasant.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

San Jorge is definitely quiet, but I would say it's absolutely lovely. We spent a few days there and thoroughly enjoyed long, leisurely, delicious meals, as well as horseback riding, hiking, and hours of relaxing as we became acclimated. The family that owns the Hosteria, as well as the staff, was friendly, helpful, and became like family to us. Not for people looking for a wild time, but for beauty, quiet, relaxing, and knowledgeable hosts, I definitely recommend San Jorge.

Williston, Vermont
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

We spent a day hiking around the San Jorge. Nice place to hike, and very close to Quito. But as mentioned, the place was pretty deadly quiet. And getting a sandwich at the restaurant took forever. (Maybe it's better when they have you for full boarding!) I have friends who had a lovely weekend there, however. It has a feeling of old hacienda, slightly run-down, picturesque.

Another possibility would be Bellavista Lodge in the cloud forest, about 2 hours from Quito. Or El Monte, a bit farther on, in Mindo. Both well worth an overnight trip.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

Stayed at the San Jorge Lodge in July of 2004 after a week in the Galapagos. It's an interesting place to stay, but not for everyone.

The rooms we were in are a short hike up from the main area/dining room. This normally wouldn't be an issue, but the lodge is at 10,000 ft altitude and we (3 pretty healthy males in our late 30s) were totally out of breath when we got to our room. I think someone in their late 50s or older would have a serious problem with this, unless they run marathons regularly.

The rooms we were in were in a little cobblestone courtyard, looked very traditional and had great views of Quito below.

The rooms we were in were...interesting. Heat (and you'll need it at 10K feet!) is supplied by a fireplace that is laid for you by the staff. However...there was no screen or spark arrestor on the fireplace. My buddy Chris woke us up with a shriek at 3:00 AM; a large ember had popped out of the fire and onto his bed, burning through the blankets.

There was supposed to be hot water in the bathrooms (well, we kind of expected it...lazy, soft Americans that we are) but the water heater down the hill had broken. OK, it's an adventure, a cold shower never killed anyone....

On the good side....the food is absolutely fabulous. I'd go back there just for the food. There are three abuelas (grandmothers) in the kitchen, and don't bother asking what's for dinner; just eat it. It'll be some of the best you'll have in Ecuador. Those women know how to cook and the presentation was as good as any I have seen in Europe.

The hot tub and pool were working when we were there. The staff was happy to bring us all the wine (local, very good) that we wanted while we were in the tub.

We did two days of touring with San Jorge, We went to the Cotopaxi volcano and Otavalo market. Both are definitely worth seeing...but they don't tell you that if you go up to Cotopaxi, dress warm. It's at 13,000 feet and there's a glacier up there. Bring a jacket. They'll bring lunch, which was excellent as usual.

Not for everyone, but if you're adventurous and like great food and hospitality....do it!

New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

Hi,

Just spent 6 weeks in Ecuador and Peru, had a great trip.

You might want to consider Bellavista cloud forest which is not to far away. The staff is very friendly , lots of birds and hiking trails and horse back riding is available as well as nature guides.

They will transport you from/to your hotel or the airport.

Info available at www.bellavistacloudforest.com

6. Re: San Jorge Eco-Lodge vs Paradise Hut Jungle Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 06:25