We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport to LOJA from CUENCA

Which Cuenca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
transport to LOJA from CUENCA

Solo senior traveler seeking helpful advice on bus and/or van shuttle from GYE to LOJA then later LOja to Cunca. dates of travel April/May 2013

Thanks in advance ~~~This is my 1st visit to Ecuador.

Cuenca, Azuay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

You can take the bus easily from all those cities. I think to get to Loja you may have to come up over the mountains to Cuenca first, but when you et to GYE just go to the bus station and they'll tell you the most direct route. Also if you're over 65, ask for the "tercera edad" ticket (you'll only pay half price). I think I pay about $4 from GYE to Cuenca; can't remember what it was from C to Loja. Go during the daylight hours, not because it's "dangerous" at night, but because the scenery is so beautiful. Have fun!

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

I thought one had to be a resident to qualify for those kind of discounts.

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

Thanks for the info and quick response. YES, I would qualify by age (almost 70!) but I wonder what document I need to get the 1/2 off deal? Its worth a try since I am planning a 6 week trip on a tight budget.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

You will need to have residency and then register for the tercera edad in order to qualify. It's possible the ticket seller won't ask for your i.d., but who knows.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

Where does one catch the vans to Loja from Cuenca. Can my hotel provide these services for me? Dates of travel are 01/12/13 - 01/14/13. Are there any planes that fly to Loja? Thanks in advance

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

I believe the most direct bus from Guayaquil travels through Santa Rosa to Catamayo then Loja. It takes 9 hours. You can travel through Cuenca, but you will need to transfer to another bus. The travel time is about the same, but you may have to wait in Cuenca for the connecting bus.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

we are seniors who just returned from Ecuador. we didn't know about the tercer edad price on busses so didn't ask. However, the busses are so cheap you sould probably be getting your trip for $2 instead of $4. We did get the special at museums just by asking with no proof of any kind required.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

Thanks for your answesr - I will be flying from Cuenca to Catamayo.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

I do not think you can fly directly from Cuenca to Catamayo (Loja). You can if you transfer planes in Guayaquil or Quito.

10. Re: transport to LOJA from CUENCA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17