We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

greensboro, nc
1 post
Save Topic
Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

I am currently looking at a nice farm just outside of cuenca. I want to farm and teach english. I am a single mom and want to know any safety precautions I should take. I failed to mention that my married cousins are going ahead of me.

houston
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

I just returned from Cuenca. The only people some people had was the altitude. Beautiful city.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

Cuenca is a very beautiful city, and I believe has less crime than Quito or Guayaquil. SOunds like a wonderful opportunity.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

I lived in Cuenca for 5 years. I absolutely love Cuenca and hope to return to live there again. Cuenca is a decent size city so the same precautions you would use in any city apply there. When you get to know people they will be very helpfull and children are adored. The biggest problem is theft. You certainly don't want to leave for the day and return to an empty house. Sometimes a rural home is less secure and more suseptable to theft. In the city your home is usually enclosed and you have close neighbors. May I ask what area you are looking at? Some areas are more notorious for theft than others. Also make shure you have a good lawyer to handle the transaction. There can be alot of problems when you purchase property. On our last visit a friend of ours told us that he knew someone that had purchased a piece of land and later found out the same land had been sold to four other people. We were having this discussion becouse we would like to buy property there as well.

DKV
Cuenca
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

My husband and I have lived in Cuenca for 2 years now. My best advice to you is to not buy property until you have stayed in Ecuador for at least 2 years. Renting is cheap enough. Many expats leave earlier than that because this is NOT America. Ecuador has it's pluses AND its drawbacks, like income. Most Ecuadorian families only take in a little over $3,000 a year and most teachers only make 200-300 a month. Farming takes a while and you will have plenty of competition at the produce market. So unless you are sharing expenses with someone or have extra money to tide you over during slow times, living here would be very difficult on such a small income.

As far as safety - There are not many problems in Cuenca except for theft, the number one problem here. Use common sense - don't walk alone at night, stay away from bars, and watch your purse. The buses here are notorious for theft. Theives work in groups to distract you to get your belongings. Just be a little cautious.

Be sure to make several copies of your passport to leave with friends. It might save you a world of headache.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

DKV I am certainly jealous! I wish we were back in Cuenca! Are you enjoying living there? Sometimes I forget that others will not love Cuenca as much as we do. We went for a visit in April with some friends of ours and they did not enjoy it as much as we thought they would.

DKV
Cuenca
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

Rulkel,

The reasons we moved to Cuenca is that it is a beautiful city, very colonial and the people are very friendly. We considered Panama, but Ecuador is bigger and you can pick your weather according to terrain.

Cuenca is also a very clean city where you can actually drink the city water and not get sick. It also has most of the amenities of the larger cities such as Quito or Guayaquil, where it's easy to get lost. Cuenca is small enough to find most anything within a 5-10 drive and the parks here are very nice.

We toured all around Ecuador to find THE city we wanted to retire to and in our book, the beautiful city of Cuenca fits the bill.

Regards,

DKV

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

DKV

Glad to see your happy in Cuenca! We want to return badly! We have also traveled around looking at other possibilities thinking we should try something different but we have not found anywhere that we like as much as Cuenca. One of these days I hope it works out and we will be on our way!

Maine
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

We stayed for almost a week in the Cuenca area in Banos and saw a lot of new construction going on and some very nice places that looked fairly new. I don't know what the cost of a place in Banos would be, but it certainly looked like a nice place to live and is only a short bus ride from Cuenca. Thanks to Rulkell for recommending it - we loved the area and agree with all the nice things that have been writen about Cuenca.

California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

DKV,

My husband and I are looking at buying property in Cuenca within the year. Raised in California all our lives, but my mom was a Cuencana. Can you tell us if there is a large American community living in Cuenca?

We have a 20 month old son, do you believe the school system is very good over there?

Thanks for taking the time, and I am very happy I found this site.

MES

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wanting to move to cuenca to teach english! Good or Bad idea

Dajeka

I no longer live in Cuenca but I visit there often still. When we did live there our children went to school there. Honestly we thought the education that they received there was superior to here in the states. One of my daughters returned here as a high school student and was able to attend an advanced program here becouse she had learned to be so disciplined in her studies. There are many private schools to chose from. One is bi-lengual. As far as a large american community, it is not like Quito where it seems that many have settled. But it seems to have grown. Possibly Dkv will comment as they are currently living there.