We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

I just got the post card I left at POB hand delivered to me today! How fun... it works!

For those who have not gone yet... POB is a place on Floreana where, in the past, whalers used to pick up & deposit mail. For those returning home, they would look in the barrel to see if there was mail that one could hand deliver when he arrived home.

When I was there I picked up one addressed to a man who lives in a suburb that was not too far from me. My friend & I hand delivered it and the addressee was thrilled. The card was from his mother who was there only 2 weeks before we were there and he didn't know she had even sent it!

A fun tradition that Galapagos visitors can participate in!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Yes, it seems more reliable than the official postal service at puerto ayora where I posted some with stamps that never arrived at their destination !

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

LOL no kidding. it took longer for my actual posted post card to get back than any other trip i've gone to... even china!

Chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Our son just received (by US mail) a scrap of paper with written thoughts for him that we had left on Floreana on New Years Day 2006. On that day, we had taken and delivered someone else's note. Thank you to the 'good neighbor' who picked up and delivered our note. Just goes to show you, there's no such thing as a 'Dead Letter' file as long as people are alive and have love in their hearts.

Europe
Level Contributor
312 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

My cards were received within a couple weeks after I posted them. Great the way this works! Thanks to all travellers!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Our cruise did not include a stop on Floreana, sorry to say since the postcards we mailied using stamps and the Ecuador post office have not yet arrived and it has been over 2 months. It sounds like the old fashioned way works better.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

I got my postcard back, but it was a bit of a letdown. Yes, it was hand delivered. However, the guy basically threw it at me and took off. I didn't get to say a word to him. Well, I'm going to deliver the postcard I picked up. I'll be sure to chat for a minute. It is a pretty cool tradition.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Still waiting on those mailed postcards. Maybe I should give up?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

we got ours yesterday! cindy (who lives ~45 mins from us) hand delivered it yesterday and we had a very nice chat.

i was unable to deliver the post card i'd picked up at POB in april due to a broken wrist....i was going to hand deliver it to warrenton, virginia - however, the cast made it difficult for me to drive so i decided to mail the post card along with a letter in which i apologized that i was unable to deliver the card myself.

i hope this was not a breach of POB code?!

heidi

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

Well Heidi at least you enclosed a letter and explained why you couldn't hand deliver it. I'm going this week to deliver mine. I hope she's home when I get there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: did you left a postcard at Post Office Bay & get it back?

hi chaqueeta, and thank you for making me feel a bit better about this ;)

you could always look up the addressees phone number on www.whitepages.com - that's what cindy did, just to make sure i was home. i even took a pic of her, which will be the concluding pic in my galapagos scrap book :)

take care, and thanks again!!!

h