We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

chicago
7 posts
Save Topic
Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

Hi,

Going to cruise the Galapagos with my wife in September and looking at an 8 days cruise on smaller boat, Nemo II,Mellennium or Seman II. How much 'spare' time do you get on an island. Is there enough time to rent a bike on San Cristobal? or hike the Sierra Negra Volcano? Expore some of the lava tubes during the day or is the schedule fairly ridgid?

My US travel agent wasn't to clear with answers. Is there a local agent you can recommend?

Thanks

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

I just booked a trip on the Seaman II for next spring. While I cannot answer your itinerary question, I can recommend Haugan Cruises (part of Columbus Travel), from my reservation experience. Fernanda helped me book our cruise, and she was very helpful, informative, and prompt with email responses.

I am hoping their services on the trip are as great as the reservations staff has proven to be. Link:

galapagosluxurycruise.com/athala_galapagos/g…

Hope this helps. Good luck with your planning!

:)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

Schedules are very rigid in most cases. You will normally get two island trips a day with the boat sailing between them over lunch. Maybe a swimming session too. You have to stay with the guide in almost all cases - you can't just go off on your own.

The only exception we had was shopping on Santa Cruz after visiting the research center. We were supposed to walk back to the boat on our own via the shops but we got a taxi instead ! Not enough time for hiking though.

If you want to hike then consider delaying your flight back and staying on Santa Cruz or Espanola after the cruise. Note that you still can't roam everywhere without a guide but there are enough places you can go to.

chicago
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

Hi,

Thanks for the help. will follow up with your travel agent.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

i concur with the previous poster. we got back from our galapagos cruise a few weeks ago and i must say we had zero spare time on any of the islands except for when we went snorkeling at devil's crown (we had perhaps 1.5 hours to relax on the beach after snorkeling).

we had a packed itinerary all 5 days of our cruise, which is why we added an additional two nights on santa cruz just so we could explore a bit and have some down time.

happy planning!

heidi

los angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

hello,

i agree with the other posters. you are on a pretty tight schedule on the cruise. my husband and i just got back a few weeks ago. we were on the MC Anahi which was an awesome catamaran. but we would get up at 7am for breakfast, then tour an island, then lunch at noon. we'd get maybe 1 1/2 hrs to lay out on the deck. by 2:30 or 3, we'd be off again. we loved it, but it could be a bit rigid.

however, we stayed on puerto ayora for another 10 days which was great. i'd recommend staying at least a few days after your cruise ends. you can visit the lava tunnels and the turles in rancho primicias. you can take a leisurely walk to turtle bay.

i took a 2 day trip to isabela island and visited volcan sierra negra and volcan chico on horseback. i also had a chance to swim with the sealions and penguins while there.

regardless, you'll have a great time.

virna

6. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 14:00
7. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 14:00
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

Virna,

The horseback excursion is my idea of a great thing to do. Who offered it? How much time did you have - half day? full day? And how much did it cost? How easy are travel arrangements between the islands? My cruise ends at Baltra.....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

I'm not Virna but I might be able to answer some of your questions:

You can rent horses for the volcano on Isabela. Any hotel or tour agency on Isabela should be able to arrange the tour for you. Not sure if you can rent them directly at the bottom of the volcano but you really need transport arranged as its a long way from town.

From Baltra where your cruise ends, you would have two alternatives to get to Isabela. The first is a light aircraft but I am not sure of the times. It is quite an expensive method (someone said $160 each way I think - it used to be $100).

The second method is a boat from Puerto Ayora. This leaves at 2pm and is $30 each way. If you are taken to the airport, you need to get the free airport bus to the Itabaca canal (should be written on a board in the front windshield). From there take the passenger ferry which I think is 80 cents to Santa Cruz island - just a couple of minutes. When you reach Santa Cruz there will be many taxi drivers trying to get your fare. A taxi to the public dock in Puerto Ayora costs $15 for any number of people.

It is normally possible to make the boat the same day as the cruise ends but allow a couple of hours for the journey and check what time you expect to be at Baltra. It is advisable to book the boat to Isabela in advance as numbers are limited by the boat they choose for that day. Journey time varies but about 2 hours.

Return boat from Isabela is 6am and designed to allow you to get the morning flight from Baltra.

There are lots of places to stay in Puerto Ayora if you want to make a base there and travel to Isabela later. The best beach is on Isabela but there is not a huge amount to do except the volcano, wall of tears and snorkelling. There is more on Santa Cruz but the good beach is a very long walk and has no facilities.

To stay on Isabela, I recommend the Albermarle. On Santa Cruz (Puerto Ayora) I recommend the Red Mangrove or if you have lots of money the Finch Bay. The most expensive is the Royal Palm but its in the middle of nowhere - never stayed there.

10. Re: Galapagos boat cruise daily intinerary questions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 08:17