We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

casual diver

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
Save Topic
casual diver

Hi,

I've been browsing the sites of different cruise operators and they all seem to offer a bit too much or not enough. I am looking for a trip focused on experiencing as much as possible of the islands through diverse activites, but no frills.

- around 7 days cruise (flexible)

- more remote destinations favoured

- 1-2 days of scuba diving. will need to rent all equipment

- plenty of time on the ground (am an avid photographer)

- kayaking option would be nice, but not required

- NO "included" tour in Quito or other places on the mainland

- happy to pay extra for quality, but not interested in pampered luxury

Any recommendations?

Thx!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: casual diver

You will have to at least go to the mainland first because there are no connections to international flights on the same day - all galapagos flights are early morning. It is really recommended to spend 2 nights on the mainland before the cruise in case there are delays to your luggage as otherwise you will be without it for probably half the cruise.

I am not sure if you can still mix diving with an ordinary cruise. It may be better to do the cruise and then stay in Puerto Ayora for a few days after to do the diving. Try contacting happygringo.com for information.

Most cruises give you a couple of hours in the morning and in the afternoon on the islands. The length of time is regulated by the national park. Day trippers tend to get the middle of the day time which is not great for photography.

You can stay on Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Isabela and in theory Floreana. There are some places you can go to without a guide at any time of day. On Santa Cruz you can hire bikes and go to the highlands and you can walk the 6km from Puerto Ayora to Tortuga Bay which has finches on the way.

The remote places like Genovesa are only visited by a few boats so that may dictate the class of vessel you need. For photography, try and get Genovesa and Espanola. If you want the west of Isabela and Fernandina as well then you may need to look at 2 week cruises but check out the Alta 8-day. The Alta has kayaking and snorkeling but not diving.

florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: casual diver

I did a week cruise on the Eric, operated by Ecoventura, in May of 2008, and it offers the things that you are interested in. The itinerary included Tower, Punta Espinoza, Tagus Cove and Punta Suarez which are considered by the Galapagos guides to be the best destinations. There was also the option of 4 scuba dives over a two day period, pricey, but worth it. The boat was comfortable, but not deluxe. You can check it out at their website Ecoventura.com. Whatever your decision is I know you won't regret traveling to the Galapagos, It is truly a unique magical place.

3. Re: casual diver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 00:20