We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on a trip...

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
658 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on a trip...

I am thinking of going in the spring, I am single (30's) and would like to either join a tour group of single/married "younger people" or do a trip on my own.

I am looking for advice on which month is the best to go that would be considered off season and for 10 days a possible vacation recommendation.

Thanks, J

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on a trip...

We went in May 2008 and it was fantastic. Not too hot, not too rough, and we saw the Waved Albatross, which is only there 6 months out of the year.

As far as younger crowd goes, I'd definitely stay away from the Xpedition. My husband and I were the youngest on board (mid 20's) which was fine since we were together. I'd suggest contacting several of the boat companies and asking if they have any special younger type weeks available. But really, you should choose the cruise based on the itinerary and what you want to see.

The only way you can do a trip "on your own" would be too do a land based tour where you stay in a hotel on one of the 3 inhabited islands and go out on day trips from there. A naturalist is required to go out to the other islands and a cruise is the best way to see the islands with the least impact by human presence.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on a trip...

It will be difficult to ensure a specific age group because most of the boats sell each cabin separately to anyone that wants it.

The biggest problem for single travellers is that the supplement for a single cabin is normally about 80% If you are willing to share then most boats will either find you a same sex partner or if none is available you end up on your own without the supplement.

If you book really early (about a year) then you can get the odd single cabin.

May is a good low season month but then you will probably only save around 10%

A cruise would be my recommendation and since you need to stay in Quito a day before (and probably after too) this will mean a 7day/8 night cruise.

You can go solo by staying in a hotel but you will have to take organised tours to see the other islands and the travelling eats into your daytime (a lot of travelling on the cruise is at night). You will also only be able to see the close islands.

If you had longer, I would add say 3 days on Santa Cruz after the cruise.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on a trip...

We went on a 6 day trip with Gap Adventures - was fantastic. We saw the main wildlife the Galapagos are known for and our guide was brill.

We are in our late 20's from the UK and were probably the youngest in our group which ranged up to 50's. but I'd say the average age was 35. Our group had people from UK, US, France, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand.

We visited in October - I do not know whether that is off peak - the water was just about warm enough to swim/snorkel but was a bit chilly.

The birds were nesting but the turtles had not mated yet so we did not see them coming up the beach to lay eggs.

4. Re: Need advice on a trip...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 01:16