We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips and tours from the islands

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
159 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips and tours from the islands

We are doing a land based vacation and in planning I need to know if the day trip operators accept credit cards for their tours. Also, how about credit cards at restaurants.

Thanks.

1. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2009, 13:22
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

Not sure if this information is still current but when I was there 3 years ago, if you could find someone to take a credit card then it cost you a substantial surcharge. I think it was about 12%

Maybe someone with more recent experiance could update us on this ?

I seem to recall that large denomination notes were a problem too.

rakishah
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

We just got back from a land based tour. Many of the larger restaraunts accept credit cards, it genrally was not a problem. I'm not sure about the tour operators. Cash is king though, i think there will be alot of instances where you cant use your card.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

You will need to book the day trips far in advance. Your hotel can arrange it for you. In our case we used the Royal Palm Hotel. At that time the best day trip tour company was Nortada according to what we had read and based on the recommendations of our hotel and the other one we were considering (Finch Bay). They were indeed very good. Very nice complete and fresh cooked meal on board for lunch and very good Naturalists.

In our case the hotel made the reservations for us without a deposit and the hotel added the tour cost to our final bill whick we paid with our credit card at checkout. I'm sure they take a small % of the charge but it wasn't much. The price we paid was the same as another family did we met on one day trip who paid directly to Nortada.

If you don't have hotel reservations yet don't be surprised if you are required to pay full in advance for your hotel before the reservations are finally confirmed. That was the policy of both hotels when we visited in 2006.

We paid cash for almost everything on the island to avoid the large added charge for using the credit cards.

5. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2009, 13:22
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

We've just returned from the Galapagos where we were based at Finch Bay and were able to partcipate in their daily tours on their well set-up boat the Sea Finch. All costs were included with the hotel package and the whole experience was fantastic. On our trips we often had visitors from other hotels, including the Royal Palm.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

mjvacation,

If you look back at the post in the Galapagos Islands board made over the last several months you will find many people posting disinformation. There are very strong opinions held by some that strongly discourage visitors from seeing the G's by way of a land based stay.

A minimal amount of research showed me that some of them operate cruise ships while others arrange cruises there. In any case some posting here have a financial interest in steering people to the cruise option. As a result I am very skeptical of information dissing any hotel, day trip provider or that just doesn't feel right.

The poster who posted info above that Nortada "has been on the deck for over 2 years" may be legite but we visited there in 2006 and used them with great satisfaction. As such a quick search on the web found a few sites still activity advertising their boat. This could perhaps be factual but if you are still seeking a day trip provider I would email your hotel to be sure they are on the "deck" (whatever that means). They are (or were) the best day trip company provider in the G's and I would strongly recommend them if they in fact still in business.

No offense to anyone here.

Chris

8. Re: Day trips and tours from the islands

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:23