We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galapagos

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
galapagos

My friend and I are planning on going to Ecuador in Sept or Oct. Our top priority is going to the Galapagos Islands and if time permits, a night or two in the Amazon as well as Quito and/or Guayaquil. Is it best to book everything from the USA or wait until we get to Quito or Guayaquil?

Any and all suggestions pertaining to any part of a trip like this is GREATLY appreciated!

Rachel

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: galapagos

I would book well in advance or you risk not getting what you want. Are you looking at a cruise, island hopping or day trips from a single island base ? Do you have a budget in mind ?

Poland
Level Contributor
204 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: galapagos

It depends on how much time you have to spare. If you are in a rush and therefore not too flexible, then you should do as much booking beforehand as possible. On the other hand if, like us, you have a little bit of time to play with, and don't want to spend more than you have to, I would wait till you arrive in Ecuador, and then book your trip to Galapagos. From the research I have done, it seems that, what with the economic recession, it is likely that the cruises will not be fully booked up, and therefore places will be offered at a reduced price. THat is of course a risk, one which you must decide yourself if you are prepared to take or not. Good luck.

Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: galapagos

Hi Rachel,

You can start looking for choises and write e-mails to get a quate from the agencies. You should decide about your budget so they can offer you cruises accosrding to your budget. you can go to www.ecuadornature.com/galapagos_tips.html

they have some good recommendations you can get for free and also write them an email to get a quate.

I had a great Galapagos tour on the Guantanamera yacht last year with them and got free night in hotel in Quito.

Good Luck!

Offir.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: galapagos

thank you for your help! i will check out suggested websites and try to narrow down a budget! we would like to spend approximately 5 days on the islands and have time for a night or two in quito. if we could go to the amazon as well--that would be great! i have heard great things about Fernandina, Isabela, and Genovesa islands but have not seen them offered on any tours. any reason?

Israel
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: galapagos

Hi Rachel,

On the web I sent you the first 4 Yachts are going to Isabela and Fernandina Islands. You can Check their itinerary in that web. ecuadornature.com/galapagos_cruises_atala2.h…

Also Guantanamera yacht is going to Genovesa and TipTopII. ecuadornature.com/galapagos_cruises_guantana…

Basicaly, mostly boat have their itinerary to the South Islands and North Islands, some have permision to Isabela Fernandina and Others to Genovesa.I don't know any boat that visit both places. Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy Galapagos visiting part of the Islands and maybe some other day you can return and see other islands.

Good Luck!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: galapagos

For Fernandina and Genovesa you will have to take a cruise. The Beagle does both but you need to book the correct week as it does alternate weeks so you can do a 2 week if you want. You might find other boats - try happygringo.com which has a lot of information but only a few boats do these islands. Ask for the current Beagle itinarary as the boats website is no longer correct - it now does Genovesa, Fernandina and west coast Isabela in one week.

Isabela you can stay on without a cruise or guide but only in the main town. To get to the west coast visitor sites you need a cruise. To stay in town, you can get an internal flight from Baltra (the main airport for Santa Cruz) but note the 15kg luggage limit - or you can get a boat from the main town of Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz (cost $30 each way boat leaves 2pm from Santa Cruz and return leaves 6am). I had two bags and was charged additional $10.

From main town of Isabela you have some nice long deserted beaches, a nice boardwalk to giant tortoise breeding center, taxi to wall of tears with possible long walk back with many trails, guided tours to volcano on foot or horseback, snorkel trip and shark viewing just across the water. There is little else there. Suggest hotel Albemarle which is run by an Englishman and has its own water supply when the town water is turned off at night. They also give unlimited free drinking water in the rooms.

7. Re: galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:25