We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
904 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

At what point does a ship become too big? What is the perfect number of people on a ship for it to be intimate and have no waiting but still enjoyable with a variety of activities?

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

Everyone has different opinions on this topic.

We were on the Xpedition, so the biggest bost in the Galapagos. Up to 98 passengers. We chose it for the options available regarding excursions and the "all inclusive" price tag.

There was only ONE time on our trip where I felt "crowded" and it wasn't because of the Xpedition people, it was because the Xpedition and the Legend were at one location at the same time.

We didn't wait for anything, really, they have bigger pangas to accomodate people, and they are always rotating. We really enjoyed the variety of people on board as well as the fact that we had more room to spread out during the down time.

I can only give you my experience- which was wonderful. I think many people will argue that a 16 passenger boat was better, but, for us, the Xpedition was fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

Dear Lynn: I've had the opportunity to do both. During my trip to the Galapagos I started for the first 2 days (and 1 night) on the Coral 1 (16 passengers). As a result of mechanical breakdown on Coral 1 (which is a long story) all of the passengers were transferred to the Legend for the balance of the trip (2 more nights).

The experiences were quite different - the Legend was much more formally "organized" & we were all put into groups and assigned a "group name" based on local birds while the Coral had an informal atmosphere and a more flexible schedule and approach. Based on my experience I preferred the smaller ship and its more casual atmosphere - so much so that my next trip in a year will definitely be on a smaller ship.

In any event have a great trip - it's a fascinating part of the world. Bill.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

Dear Lynn,

most Galapagos visitors will tell you that after a day of site visits, walking, snorkeling etc... you have no interest in any on-board activities - you just want to watch the sunset, have a drink, a bite, and hit the sack!

I am partial to smaller ships - they offer more intimacy - you get to know your fellow passengers better, you don't feel like you are overwhelming a particular site - you get to know the crew etc. etc... no loudspeakers announcing that it's time for breakfast, or to prepare to embark on the pangas for the site visit etc...

Larger ships have more space, more public deck areas, and may have evening presentations / a show, on-board shop, a reading room, even a jacuzzi.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: How big is too big of a Galapagos ship?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 04:17