We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Galapagos?

San Francisco
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Galapagos?

I know a couple other people have asked whether the Galapagos Islands are a good place to go for your honeymoon, but I still have the following questions:

1) Are there nice beaches where we could just hang out and relax, without having to hike or ward off sea turtles? (Nothing against the sea turtles, of course.) For example, are any of the hotels near a beach?

2) Are there any romantic lodging options? I would assume that the cruises are fairly spartan, which is fine. But I think we'd ideally like to combine adventure with relaxation and some romance, and my fiancee is still a little unsure we'll get enough of the latter two. Please help me convince her otherwise!

Thank you for your time.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

Dear Run,

I was married, and 2 weeks later, left for a 4 year stint in Galapagos, and had 2 kids! So, I would say "YES!".

There are all kinds of cruises, from backpacker specials to ultimate luxury (you pay for it!). I would suggest a cruise on a smaller ship, but higher end, if this is possible (e.g. budget from $3,000 per person for the week). It's an awesome experience - and can be a good opporutnity to create some lifelong memories - Galapagos is certainly not just sitting on a beach and sipping margaritas. You'll swim with sea lions, hike on volcanoes, spot penguins sharks and dolphins.

As for romantic --- depends what turns you on! There are some small places in Villamil, a small town (pop. about 700), set on a series of nice beaches. No major luxury, but if you want to be alone with your spouse and unwind, and not be distracted by bars, music, crowds etc... this is a good place (we used to spend our family long weekends there), quite zen in certain ways. You are on the edge of the wide pacific - after Villamil, there is nothing for 5,000 miles!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

For sure Galapagos is ideal fo hooneymoon, I just came from Galapagos for 5 day inspection trip and ofcouse pleasure.

On of the best hotels in town is the Finch Bay with a beach from that some times locals go great food and you can organize trips for everyday of staying on the place. If you will like to convine a boat there are several catamarans for 16 pax and later you can stay in the safari camp that is located in the upper part of Sta Cruz with a incredible view of the Islands definally a great place to stay.

Le me know if you need more info

Regards

AC

Marston Moretaine...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

Afternoon

will be on my honeymoon in peru, ecuador and the galapagos in just over two weeks will report back.

were booked on the coral for a five day cruise, cant wait!! holiday / honeymoon of a life time in my view.

Regards

Andy

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

On Isabela, in Puerto Villamil the hotel Albemarle is right on the beach. They have planted palm trees in front of the hotel. The beach is not crowded and if you want it all to yourself, just wander down a bit further. There are miles of sandy beach and the town is small.

Note there are only a few tourist trips from Isabella and you can't do day trips to other islands. You might want to combine a cruise with an island stay.

For more day trip possibilities, choose Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz but there is no beach. A short water taxi ride is the Finch Bay hotel that someone already mentioned. This is expensive to stay but there is a beach although small and more crowded - but you can do day trips to other islands.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

The beach on Isabela is powder soft white sand and extends 3 kilometers into the National Park, so yes, a great place to just wander alone. Sunsets are spectacular. The town pier has a cool bar with hammocks to watch them from. Albemarle is nice, but right at the entrance to the town pier in front of the port captain...a 'major' intersection in Puerto Villamil. Red Mangrove has quite posh rooms and only 8 of them. Casa Marita is also nice as long as you get an oceanfront room. Both of them are on the same beach. I could rave all day about Isabela and the many opportunities that exist there, especially if you're interested in soaking in all the Galapagos has to offer without being part of a crowd.

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

There were honeymooners in the suite next to us on our Celebrity cruise that we just completed.

Because they had a suite with a balcony, they had some privacy, but certainly not total privacy.

We did stop at beaches where some people just hung out instead of snorkeling, but the beaches were small, so there wasn't any privacy. You are definitely not allowed to wander off on your own in the Galapagos.

At meals on our ship, there was open seating at tables for six or more, so there is no privacy there. However, room service was available, and the couple told us they did use it once for breakfast and once for dinner to eat on their balcony.

I think you should save the Galapagos for a special anniversary.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

A cruise is different because the places they mainly go are under control of the national park. In those places it is correct that you can't wander off on your own - you are supposed to be within sight of your guide at all times.

However in the town and agricultural areas of the populated islands, you can wander around. There is a very long stretch of beach on Isabela which is not controlled.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

The best hotel or resort on the island when we were there in 2006 was by far the Royal Palm Hotel. Very very relaxing atmosphere, great food and very special lodging options especially if you can swing a private bungalow. You are 5-10 minutes from town by taxi but there are very easy to arrange. You are also had a higher alititude where the temperature is usually 10 deg F or more lower than town.

If I were you I and was going here for a honeymoon I would definitly stay on land in the RP or another nice place for the privicy alone given the small size of the cruise ships found there.

9. Re: Honeymoon in Galapagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 05:33