We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single - share

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Single - share

I am retired and travel several times a year...Galapagos is of interest to me but over the years I have had ROOM MATES FROM HELL and frankly there isn't a cheap enough deal for me to risk that. With so many companies doing the Galapagos and having multiple boats I don't know why they don't see the wisdom in "Train Size" single cabins where what is yours...stays yours...what is clean...stays clean and your not paying big bucks to be some other guys maid. Marketing is all about supply and demand and if you do your homework there is a real demand for single (get out of my suitcase) travel. I have spent nights in the loby of hotels escaping a dreaded room-mate and won't take the chance again. I can't financially afford it nor mentally put up with it.

The idea your going to hit it off and be best buddies is one in a million. Design your tours for the clients needs...not what works best for you. You'll be sold out all the time.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single - share

I've only done two tours with whom I had to share a room; the roomies weren't horrible, but I won't do it again. If I want to go somewhere bad enough, I'll pay the dreaded single supplement. It never hurts to negotiate to have the single supplement reduced or removed in return for upfront full payment or a certain number of nights. It can be done, and in this economy, might be fairly easy.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single - share

I think the main problem is that if you can fit a single bed in a cabin then you can put two bunk beds in and double your money without making the cabin any bigger.

I do know that the Beagle lets one of its cabins go as a single even though it has upper and lower bunks - all the other cabins have an oversized lower and single upper which are sold as doubles. You would probably have to book well in advance to get it. I booked mine through happygringo.com but I am sure any agency that deals with that boat would be able to book it for you.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single - share

Dear Didi,

another option is to wait for a last "minute" deal, which might mean last month or two in reality. You may be able to get the entire cabin for the price of a single. To increase your negotiating position, you should deal directly with the ship owner, or an experienced Galapagos agent. Typically, the first 2 weeks of December is a period when ship owners are dying to fill the cabins and may offer good prices.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single - share

All of the ships are offering substantial discounts right now. Some of the best deals are ones found in the Galapagos. I was speaking with a lady a couple of months back who was writing an article for USA Today who said that was exactly what she was going to recommend if her editors would allow it. Sat with a guy last week who inquired at Reception. She picked up the phone and he saved $1400. Out with divers who had done the same. So unless you are someone who must have it mapped out in advance to be comfortable, head to Santa Cruz or San Cristobal, check into a hotel and ask around. You will save a lot of money.

5. Re: Single - share

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 05:39