We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

I just received the news that this 1st class 32 passenger ship ran aground on Tuesday, 16 June, on Espanola island at Punta Cevallos. It was towed back to Puerto Ayora, where apparently it is now leaking fuel into the water. No injuries are reported.

Quasar Nautica lost the Parranda to fire just a few months ago. This Ecuadorian company, with a top reputation, will be sorely hit. Let's hope the fuel issue will be contained. If you have a booking on the Evolution in the next few weeks, I suggest you contact your travel agent immediately.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Thank you Heather for the heads-up on this. Naturally I am panicking as we leave on the Evolution on July 11! However, I just spoke to directly to the Quasar offices in Quito, and they clarified the information (now, of course I realize they want to spin it positively, but I tend to believe my rep at Quasar as he has been extremely helpful to me.)

According to them, the incident happened on Sunday (not Tuesday), and the ship did not run aground, but hit an underwater object (another sunken ship) that was not correctly indicated on their maps. They said that there is no fuel leak at all, and the strike was no where near the fuel tanks. The ship was indeed towed to Puerto Aroyo and is undergoing inspection and whatever repair is necessary (he said "some welding") He is fairly certain that the ship will sail next week or at the latest the week after (that would be the departure before ours.)

I am of course going to keep calling him for updates and told him I'd call him next week.

On another note, I asked him about the Grace and he said the Grace is indeed on its maiden voyage right now.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Thanks JC -

I've asked for further details from my contacts in Puerto Ayora. Nice to hear things may not be as bad as reported. Keep us posted on the expected timeframe for the ship's return to service.

Warmest regards,

Heather

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Ditto Heather--let us know if you get further details! Needless to say I am concerned but trying to stay calm :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Sunday is the day it should have been at Espanola so that makes sense. I guess it would have taken some time to get towed to Puerto Ayora.

Lets hope it can get repaired quickly.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

The latest news is from the Galapagos National Park service, which reported a diesel spill in Academy Bay, but states that it arose from leaks during the transfer of fuel from the Evolution to external tanks. It reported that park divers inspecting the hull did not detect any fissures.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

The Sea Shepherd ran a story on Evolution's problem. See it here:

seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-090618-2…

San Diego
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

This article certainly states otherwise with the damage the ship sustained. A large hole below the water line is slightly more than no fissures as Heather mentioned. And, the fact that fuel was leaking for so long is alarming. It seems as though the facts are not all laid out on the table at the moment. Hopefully, we'll find out within the next week how the repairs are coming along. I certainly hope they don't cut corners in order to get the ship back in the water.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Well as you say, its hard to know who to believe. The Sea Shepherd story seems like it was culled from news articles and not first-hand information. I did speak (again) to Quasar on Friday and they told me that yes there was a hull gash, but not anywhere near the fuel tank (they confirmed that the gash was in the water ballast tank); and that the fuel leak resulted from the transfer of fuel off (or on, not sure) the ship and not from any fissure in the tank. The ship is on its way to Guayaquil to go into dry dock and they seemed sure that it would be back in service in time for the July 4th departure.

I'm going to speak to them early next week again and will report back.

Charlotte NC, USA
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

What a shame…. The wife and I were on this boat just last month and I just received the news of this incident from one of the other passengers on the same trip… That boat (the Evolution) was such a wonderful experience for us. I could not say enough good things about the boat, crew, and company…!

I am really quite cynical when it comes to booking a cruise or tour but the experience I had with Quasar was over the top… Since this boat is charter out from time to time I am not sure how it works when other companies charter it whether they use Quasar standard crew (as we had) or employ there own…

I hope all of you feel comfortable that you will be taken care of… Before I had experienced Quasar I would have been in a complete panic over this accident however; having spent eight days with them I would be somewhat concerned but I trust them to make it right… I hope this is somewhat reassuring words for you as I was a cynic once myself!!!

It’s a wonderful adventure and a lifetime of memories!!!

Lee Sorenson

USA

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship "Evolution" of Quasar Nautica runs aground

Sea Shepherd has an office in the Galapagos (in fact, overlooking Academy Bay, where the Evolution now is moored), with the express permission from the Government of Ecuador. I would generally trust their information coming from Galapagos.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron