We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport tax in Guayaquil

San Diego
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport tax in Guayaquil

Does anyone know if they take credit cards for the departure tax?

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport tax in Guayaquil

They do not. It is cash only. You do not have to pay an airport tax to depart for the Galapagos, only for international flights.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport tax in Guayaquil

Hi CAfam5,

we left from GYE at the end of May and we used our credit card to pay the departure tax.

Of course, at first they said that CC were not accepted and that we had to pay cash. The thing was that we had not enough cash left and we KNEW they accepted credit cards. After insisting they said that the real problem was that the CC terminal was not working but they could give it a try. Well, the machine worked without a single problem.

Good luck!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport tax in Guayaquil

CAfam5,

I paid cash when I departed from Quito back to the States as I believed it was cash only. It looks like if you push you might be able to use a card. That said, why go through the hassle? Keep some extra cash on hand. Don't forget the official currency of Ecuador is the US Dollar, so if you come back with "too much cash", it's dollars you can use back home. Only advice I might offer is try not to use too many big bills (as in $20's or larger). I had great difficulty using larger bills. $20's were only sparingly accepted and didn't even bother with $50's or $100's.

4. Re: Airport tax in Guayaquil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 06:20